Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tell me about Internet Radio please
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've just got a Philips wireless streaming device so i can listen to music from my PC hard drive in the room where my stereo is..

Ok I haven't managed to get that bit to work but the device has connected to the router and is currently playing music from Internet radio

The list of available stations is totally daunting.

Can some one guide me through this lot? perhaps with some starting tips of how to search, whats crap etc..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Hmm interesting. I am after a radio that works on the wireless network at home – is this the same principle?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Planet Rock – Excellent for classic rock and new quality rock.
    Radio 4 – End to end brilliance. Apart from You and Yours. 😉
    Radio 3 – Sublime classical music and some great jazz too.

That's about all you need to know!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Racing Ralph, i guess so, but its not what I bought it for. Just happens to be the bit that I got working first…

Its in my conservatory, hooked up to the Amps and wirelessly linked to the router, in the lounge!

Its a Phillips NP1100 and I got it off Ebay for £60 delivered. There's loads about for that money on Ebay but they are £150 in Argos….

timber

BBC 6 isn't dead

With all the choice out there, a rough idea of audio taste would help
    Best thing on mine is I can get the listen again stuff, so use that for late night shows I wouldn't be awake for otherwise e.g Giles Peterson

CHB

whats the best radios for this, with listen again features?

markenduro
    Free Member

Will the phillips unit play back music from a NAS or does it have to be stored on a pc?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Markenduro, no idea as I can't get it to play music off my PC currently.

NZCol

Most of these things are uPNP receivers so you need a uPNP server running on your PC to 'serve' the music from iTunes etc. I use Allegro MEdia Server on my iMac to serve a Naim Uniti via wireless, it also does iRadio but the way that works is different as it acquires the stream itself viayour broadband connection. So get a uPNP server on your machine, i think windows media can do it from memory – your streaming device should then be able to see that and play from it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thanks NZ Col,

I have Windows Media Player 11 which can do sharing but It doesn't "See" the NP1100..

UnUP is "on" in the router (via internet access page) and it cearly connects to the internet.

Firewall thing perhaps?

NZCol

Could be. Lots of possible permutations here, i personally don't use uPNP anything on my router as its just IP to IP between the uniti and Allegro.
    Do a google for np1100 upnp setup and look at one of the forums there – good list of things to check.This thread is a good start

Spongebob
    Free Member

I use a Netgear RedyNAS Duo and a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. It's a powerful combo that doesn't rely on a PC being up and running. I would check your manuals to see if you can do the same with your Philips. NAS boxes have many good uses as well as running server software and I chose my NAS based on Squeezebox forums and evidence of strong support for the unit on Logitech's website. So what deos Philips recommend?

In respect of finding stations with the SB, there are various search criteria and I would imagine you'll have the same with your box (genre, region etc). You can save the ones you like to your favourites making recall a simple task.

If you want UK stations and your box takes stadard URL's, http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk is a pretty good place to start. Make sure you pick a stream format compatible with your streaming device however.

molgrips
    Free Member

Radio 4 – End to end brilliance. Apart from You and Your

Huh. Great apart from the frigging Archers and the drama on in the afternoon.

Actually, a lot of the drama is excellent, but I don't like to admit it. I often listen at work, and if I don't turn it off quickly enough at 3 I can get sucked into some weird thing and not do any work for 2 hours.

CountZero

BBC 6Music, CBC Radio 3.

NZCol

I listen to BBC Radio 5LIve and Radio 6 via iRadion, compared to the dross that is NZ radio its like nirvana. Found some DAB testing going as well locally which was quite interesting.

Spongebob
    Free Member

+1 Molgrips. For me, the Archers invokes an instant channel switch. The plays can sometimes be good however, but can be hard work getting into. Trouble with R4 plays is that the performers can so often be nauseatingly clichéd middle class. I just wish the beeb would create something a bit more real.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member

+1 Molgrips. For me, the Archers invokes an instant channel switch.

I keep trying to tell my parents that to all intents it's just Emmerdale in a solely audio format, but they won't have it.

CHB

Archers and sunday prayers are the only thing that cause me to switch.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I find Radio 7 is good for reliving my youth spent listening to radio comedy.

Kuco

I use to like Paradise Radio.

Ifrider
    Free Member

I flippin love mine… Bit of an old clubber at heart so got mine locked to oldskoolanthems.com but also using "genre selector" to pick and choose from a seemingly endless amount of dance music stations worldwide. Current fave is London's housefm.net 8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Internet Radio please’ is closed to new replies.