Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tell me about heart valve replacements
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

My dad needs one, he had an angiogram yesterday after ongoing issues and was told that he would have the op within 18 weeks. He’s getting an appointment with a new cardiologist as he has to got to Southampton not Chichester where he’s had all the investigations, so until that appointment we won’t know much more. I was just wondering what recovery times etc are generally like. He’s 78 but until this heart issue has been very fit and well, mostly gets taken for 10 years younger than he is so not an “old” man in spite of his advanced years 😉 He seems to think he won’t be allowed to drive for 6m after the op though?

Times like this I wish I didn’t live a 5 hour drive away 🙁

bigdean

My son had nearly 9hrs open heat surgury at 9 months old. We were home in less than a week. Couldnt lift by the chest area for 6 months so not being able to drive for the same time does sound about right.

If he’s fit and health should revover fine at home just no heavy lifting etc.

If he’s having this at 78 be positive it has been this long till the surgery. The most heart breaking time was on the childrens ward talking to a 9 year old who could explain in great detail what was involed in the surgery because her third lot of heart surgery had failed and was waiting for a donor.

StirlingCrispin

The British Heart Foundation have a mass of information to help you.

I had a valve replacement 31 years ago and was off school for 6 weeks, learning to canoe after 3 months. But that was in the old days…

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to make a gag about presta vs schraeder, but seems people are a bit sad so I won’t.

I sympathise. My previously fit and active parents are suddenly being swamped with old person problems in their mid-late 60s. Time beats us all 🙁

legolam
    Free Member

It really depends on which valve is being done and by what route,why it’s being done, and also how fit your dad is normally. A typically uncomplicated aortic valve replacement would expect to be in intensive care for around 24 hours, in hospital for 5 days, but not fully 100% for 3-6 months (mainly due to the sternum healing). The cardiac surgeon will be able to give specifics for your dad, including a percentage chance of serious complications around the op (known as the Euroscore).

mrsflash
    Free Member

I was going to make a gag about presta vs schraeder

I’d have laughed 🙂

Thansk for the info everyone, very helpful.

legolam, I’m not sure which valve it is, it’s being done becuase it has thickened a lot so is restricting blood flow. I won’t be able to go to the appointment with him so am getting all the info second hand, and it’s hard to work out what’s actually going on as he underplays everything and my stepmum turns it all into a total disaster and has him in his coffin already 🙄

bigdean that is heartbreaking, makes you realise how lucky you are. Hope your son is ok now. Stirling I will suggest to my dad he takes up canoeing after 😉 will check out the bhf website, don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

ETA apologies for the overuse of smilies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about heart valve replacements’ is closed to new replies.