• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tell me about GPS watches
  • Spin
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a GPS watch but I’m a bit bewildered by the choices.

Here’s what I want / what it’s for:

It will mainly be used for long hilly runs to record mileage / height gain.
    I also want it to give me a UK grid ref so that I can use it to help with navigation whilst winter climbing. With this in mind an altimeter would also be useful but not essential.
    I don’t currently use a HRM and don’t plan to but might use one if it was part of the package or just a bit dearer. Does anyone know if non HRM models have a better battery life?
    I don’t need it to do any cycling or swimming related functions.
    I’ve got some birthday cash to spend so could go to £300 plus but I’d rather not be paying for functions I don’t use.
    Simple is good for I am a luddite and not interested in logging vast amounts of performance data.
    My own researches have lead me to the Suunto Ambit models but I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks.

julians
    Free Member

suunto ambit
    garmin fenix

Are the 2 main contenders.

I had a suunto ambit 1, and now have a garmin fenix 3. Both are good, with the fenix being substantially better, as you would expect because its 3 years newer.

HRM or lack of doesnt significantly alter battery life.

Perhaps seek out a second hand suunto ambit 1/2, or garmin fenix 1/2 if you dont want the latest and greatest. I sold my suunto ambit 1 for £70 a couple of months ago.

willard

Garmin ForeRunner 910xt? Good battery life, will do UK grid, smallish, about that budget. The 310xt is still a good bet, but there are better ones out there.

I think Garmin are releasing a new running focussed one soon that promises to be cheap.

geoffj

Garmin Fenix 3 has all the features you need.

Edit – look at DC Rainmaker’s site for in depth reviews http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/winter-gadget-recommendations.html

Spin
    Free Member

look at DC Rainmaker’s site for in depth reviews

Thanks for that, I really needed something to cut through the crap. The Garmin site in particular is loaded with BS motivational quotes about how I was buying a lifestyle rather than a watch!

bensales
    Free Member

Garmin Fenix 3 or 920xt. Same features pretty much in both, choice would come down to wanting one that looks like a watch or one that looks like a computer.

Your main feature to look for is the UK grid one. I’ve had it on all my Garmin watches, but I’ve always bought the top end one. Current have the Fenix 3 and wear it for both sports and daily office use.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last couple of hours comparing the Fenix 3 and Ambit3 Peak as they seemed like the 2 best options and it kind of comes down to this:

The Fenix has a few more features and looks nicer.
    The Ambit is a bit cheaper.

There were also a few suggestions that the Ambit was a bit quicker and more reliable in the GPS stakes but this was hotly contested.

Given that the looks don’t bother me and I’m unlikely to use the extra features of the Fenix. I’m still tending towards the Ambit.

Thanks for your help folks and any other input gratefully received.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about GPS watches’ is closed to new replies.