Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Tell me about glentress!
  • renton
    Free Member

Got a week off soon and thinking of going over to glentress if the weather holds up.

Never been before so what’s it like? Comparable to afan at all?

Cheers
    Steve

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Better.

Spooky woods is excellent.

Save some energy and do Innerleithen too though. I think it’s better still

At GT, after the top of the skills section, miss the first red off to the left, Cary on up to the next red section climb.

That’s what I do anyway.

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s my favourite trail centre, first went there for our honeymoon and have been back on our anniversary every year since. Although I did once fall off Pennels Vennel. I enjoy the red, but prefer the blue (mainly because I’m chronically enfeebled, hence falling off Pennels Vennel…)

jsync

Much, much better

mactheknife

Renton, sorry for the hijack, just remembered i said i would let you know about the PUSHed bushings on my 5 spot. Great bits of kit, They just make all small bump stuff very plush. Had to put an extra 10 psi in to get the correct sag and the rear end is spot on.

Glentress is good for a day out. Innerleithen is different (better). 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Cheers mactheknife!!

falkirk-mark

Make sure you do Inners just down the road.

Northwind

I haven’t done Afan, only trailcentre I’ve done that’s comparable with GT is CYB. Tons of riding, loads of variety, also you can hit it pretty fast first time as the design and sightlines are excellent. Not very technical in most of it but there are bits to spice it up, means it’s very all-skills as most folks can get round the red but better riders can up the speed and it becomes a different thing. It is ace.

Innerleithen’s a bit of a one-trick pony on the red (pedally, wide, jumps drops and drops) good for a visit though if you like that. Always think it’s weird that people call GT a bmx track when it’s far more natural feeling in places and far more varied. The black spices it up with some slower rocky stuff. But the off-map and dh stuff is stunning- almost all the good riding at innerleithen isn’t on the trailcentre route, and that’s what makes it so brilliant.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Really enjoyed GT,

Worth trying as many runs as possible regardless of the grade. Last time I was there we spent the day on red/black doing fun sections twice a few breaks at the buzzards nest. Then finished with a bit of the blue which was surprising great fun.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

As others have said, absolutely brilliant fun. I’d love to go back. Electric Blue and Berm Baby Berm were a right hoot.

br
    Free Member

Get a map and then you’ll realise how many sections are easily re-done and/or in different orders.

But tbh I’d wait until they’ve cleared the blockages – this morning BBB was also closed.

kennyp
    Free Member

Put it this way, I’ve been to Glentress well over a hundred times and there are still trails there I’ve not yet ridden, or found out about.

kennyp
    Free Member

Then finished with a bit of the blue which was surprising great fun.

The blue at GT is exactly what a blue run should be. It’s great fun to ride, particularly at night.

renton
    Free Member

It’s just under 2 hours to get there for me from st Andrews!!!

Is there anything close?

Northwind

Carron Valley is closer. But not really comparable. Only slightly longer to get to Laggan though if you like the rocks.

renton
    Free Member

Someone mentioned Falkland hill or auchtermuchtey?

Northwind

Dunkeld as well, and lots of good riding at Kinnoull Hill.

Ooh, trail centres- Comrie Croft is ace.

akira

It’s just good fun, usually ride it when I’m up visiting. Looking forward to taking the Fatty on it!

zigzag69
    Free Member

If you haven’t already, get yourself up to Tentsmuir for a couple of hours. On your doorstep, with some nice sandy singletrack that drains really well.

http://www.strava.com/activities/103508882

Houns

Was fun in the snow today

Murr
    Free Member

falkland hill is more downhill riding , but there’s the lomond hills next to falkland that’s more xc riding some really good stuff better if someone can show you around , and a bit further to west is benarty and blairadam good riding if you do both .

cultsdave
    Free Member

Spooky woods is crap. 1st 100m is good. The rest is too flat with too many switchbacks. Would be improved greatly if they had made it run down the hill as opposed to running back and forth across it.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Double post

rOcKeTdOg

Spooky woods is crap. 1st 100m is good. The rest is too flat with too many switchbacks

does sir fear pedalling? sprinting out of the berms to the next table is great fun

cultsdave
    Free Member

Not at all. Thats why I enjoy road biking. Repeatedly pedaling along the flat between berms is crap.

br
    Free Member

Spooky woods is crap. 1st 100m is good. The rest is too flat with too many switchbacks. Would be improved greatly if they had made it run down the hill as opposed to running back and forth across it.

If you just want to go straight down, then try Inners. Me? I’d rather make the most of the gradients.

Northwind

We quite often don’t bother with spooky, but just because we’ve done it a load of times and we’d rather put the effort in elsewhere- climb up to the boundary or double up the red/black options or whatever. It’s the worst bit of the red imo but that’s not too harsh a criticism.

coastkid
    Free Member

I you have not been before then deft ride Spooky Woods!
    The Red is more fun on a hardtail i think 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpLZgzwqc4[/video]

Pie Run and Magic Mushroom are ace too!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKhVHVnZog[/video]

doubledunter
    Free Member

We quite often don’t bother with spooky, but just because we’ve done it a load of times and we’d rather put the effort in elsewhere- climb up to the boundary or double up the red/black options or whatever. It’s the worst bit of the red imo but that’s not too harsh a criticism.

We tend to do the same thing, boundary trail is a much better descent imo, been going to Gt for about 5 years now and it does get monotonous, theres some cracking off piste stuff at Gt

Phil_H

Carron Valley may be closer to St Andrews than Glentress but it takes the same time for me to get to eirhet in the van.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Carron Valley and Glentress shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence tbh 😀

househusband

Renton – am I right in thinking you’re at Leuchars now..? Or is it someone else I’m thinking of…

jeffm
    Free Member

Inner is way better IMO.
    I agree that spooky wood is a bit of a let down.

renton
    Free Member

Househusband yep that’s me!

Diane
    Free Member

I’d leave it till the beginning of March if I were you (Check on 7 Stanes website) there are quite a few restrictions till end of Feb (Clearing trees which were victims of recent storms) Inners is fine GT OK if you don’t mind missing a few bit out

Comrie is ace

rOcKeTdOg

Not at all. Thats why I enjoy road biking. Repeatedly pedaling along the flat between berms is crap.

Try pedalling faster

legend
    Free Member

Try pedalling faster

Not convinced that a trail needing this ^ is “making the most of the gradients”. Fitting the most trail into said gradients? Yes. Best use? Not so much

scotroutes

It’s an XC course, not a DH course.

legend
    Free Member

and? e.g. Hit Squad Hill flows really nicely and can be easily done without a single pedal stroke and still be fun, Spooky Woods just doesn’t work as well.

Garry_Lager

kennyp – Member

Put it this way, I’ve been to Glentress well over a hundred times and there are still trails there I’ve not yet ridden, or found out about. Do you think so? There’s a few cracking routes to be found but they’re sparse given the large area of the forest, IMO. It’s not like Innerleithen where there are goat tracks everywhere and only the grey of hair can claim to know all of the trails.
    My favourite UK trail centre – but if you were putting together the best GT route ever I think it involve a large majority of way-marked stuff. Guess they built it right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about glentress!’ is closed to new replies.