Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Tell me about GCSE options please
  • Flaperon

going through this with my lad. wants to do triple science, 6 1.45hr exams – brings back horrid memories!

If he wants to do it, he should. Just because you didn’t like exams is no reason to force him down a different route.

I did triple science and strolled through it at GCSE (A*) but hated the amount of rote memorisation needed for some humanities subjects. Your son could be the same and a 1.45 exam is an opportunity to excel, not something to be feared.

hammerite
    Free Member

Not a lot to add. But just a comment. I can’t believe the options children are given, it seems 100% based on time tabling now rather than a rounded base of qualifications. I was really shocked when Jnr had very little choice.
    My school wasn’t great but at least our options made sense. English (2 quals), maths, science (double), humanities, then a choice of a humanity (geo, history, RE), an art, a language and a tech.

anagallis_arvensis

just saw a suggestion that the ‘good’ pass rate (grade C/5) could drop about 23% –

Problem is 5 and C are different.

THM you make a good point about revision guides. Currently about 65% will get you an A*. Get all the easy recall questions right and you will be fine. Aqa’s head of science says that the bar has been raised with harder questions AND the % needed will be higher. I cant see how this can happen. Its why 5 and c and 9 and a* are not the same but are being talked of as the same

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA, being a non-scientist, I used to borrow the CGP science books regularly – started to inspire me to read more plus could supervise revision better. Enjoyed the ISEB, So you reall want to learn about science/maths, versions too although tailored more for CE/13+/scholarship papers to those awful schools 😉

The awful but compelling jokes in CGP still stuck in the mind!!!

cornholio98
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Always interesting to see the misconceptions when talking about GCSE and A levels, as it explains a lot of the nonsense that my students have been told

Could you expand on this? Which misconceptions are wrong? I genuinely would like to know. If no one understands GCSE or A-levels other than the people currently teaching them the guys taking them will be screwed when it comes to getting internships/jobs and the people reviewing applications (as I may do sometimes) look for the wrong stuff..

I mean I took them both and understand the difference between coursework and exam requirements and the time tabling conflicts. The things I enjoyed at GCSE I kept up for a-levels but at that point I was lucky that these would all also be useful for the type of degree I was going to want to do. Not having any artistic or language skills it was always going to be design, technology, science based degrees so easier selections.

miketually
    Free Member

Problem is 5 and C are different.

I thought

9 – A*+
    8 – A*
    7 – A
    6 – B
    5 – C?

Though with slightly fuzzy borders, so a 5 is like the top end of the current C grade?

miketually
    Free Member

Could you expand on this?

BTECs don’t count, “x studies” isn’t a proper subject, art’s an easier option than geography, etc.

anagallis_arvensis

so a 5 is like the top end of the current C grade?
    POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Exactly so 5 isnt a C and the grades are “calculated” differently

miketually
    Free Member

What maths grade will employers be looking for?

anagallis_arvensis

I expect they will be as clueless and are they not going to employ as many people because less get a 5?

cornholio98
    Free Member

I know a few employers who won’t look at you with only a c in Maths or English at GCSE. You would probably need one of the A type grades in maths to get into many engineering companies. Sadly with so many A, A* etc. the entire system seems devalued… A lot of people I work with also think a C is a failure and you need to be getting high 80% averages across all your subjects.
    Perception may not be correct but it is there and can work for or against you depending on where you are. I know Oxbridge grads who I wouldn’t trust to tie their own shoes who always get interviews due to the reputation (or perceived reputation) or their university.
    If the general misconceptions are that x studies are not proper subjects (many of the business studies courses around when I was at school were a joke) then doing x studies may not enhance your prospects until a new generation of recruiters with experience of these courses is in place.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about GCSE options please’ is closed to new replies.