Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • tell me about garmin bike gps, please.
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon…

I have been thinking about getting one for a while now, but am slightly unsure of them. Are they good for both on and offroad rides? Can they work as a satnav type thing, ie tell you if youve missed the turning? Basically is it worth 400quid to not have to get a map out at every crossroad so routes can be planned on the computer and followed accurately…. or is there anything else on the market I should consider?
    cheers

bob_summers

For on & off you’d need a mapping one (look around for deals on the old edge 705), which will do on-road satnav if you buy the digital maps, or download free ones from OSM.

It’s still possible to get lost with GPS (for me it’s when a path forks and after flying down a hill for 10mins I realise I’m on the wrong path, can’t be arsed to backtrack and then get more lost trying to find the original path!), but it doesn’t happen often.

Not having to check the map has disadvantages; you don’t really ‘understand’ where you are so the next time you pass that way, you don’t realise you’ve been there before. Hard to explain, but my internal compass is crap compared to a mate who’s never used GPS.

daftvader
    Free Member

I have been looking at the 800 in evans as they are on offer…. they have 1:50000 uk maps included. I am also told that garmin will be bringing out a new model in the next couple of months so ghe prices should fall even more.

Vortexracing

I’m selling my Garmin Etrex 20 with full UK OS 1:50,000 maps and a bit of a crappy bike mount

It’s only been used once and I got it in the Amazon sale in the new year, it has the original receipt box etc.

£80 posted if you are interested

Ta

Dave

eastham8 at aol dot com

butcher

Basically is it worth 400quid to not have to get a map out at every crossroad so routes can be planned on the computer and followed accurately

Doesn’t have to be £400 … but absolutely. The problem with maps, is you’ve all too often overshot your turn-off by a couple of miles and descended a massive hill before alarm bells start ringing and you decide to get it out.

With GPS, it just takes a quick glance (providing you’ve panned your route beforehand) and you will know if you’re still on your route or not. Maps are all well and good for walking, when you can read them on the move, mess about with your compass and all the rest of it, but (and I’m sure I’ll be flamed by the purists here) they can be a huge chore on a bike, potentially adding hours to your journey time.

You still get to play with maps, when you plan your route initially. And there’s nothing wrong with taking one as a backup. But I’d be lost without my GPS now. Quite literally. It’s probably one of my favourite bike related items.

For navigation I usually use an Etrex 20, which is great. A fraction of the cost of an Edge 800, I think it was designed primarily for walking, so excellent navigation but also includes all the basic cycle functions, and even an automotive mode I quite like.

Cycle specific units like the Edge 800 include a lot of training functions, as well as heart rate / cadence abilities, etc (which are bought separately). All stuff you may, or may not want. If you just want something to find your way with and record your routes, the Etrex is more than enough.

Edge 200 and 500 I wouldn’t recommend for navigation. They’re OK, on easy to navigate routes to begin with…sometimes. But their real strengths are in the endless reams of data they output.

daftvader
    Free Member

I do tend to plan my route as I am almost always riding on my own and this gives mrsvader an idea of where I am going to be. I also use a hrm and train in hr zones when I am trying to get fit. I have thought about the extrek or similar but dont really want the size on the bars. I guess I am just going to have to get one in my hands and have a play….

simonk
    Free Member

I picked up an Edge800 in the sales Amazon had earlier this year and I have found it to be brilliant, I have only used the mapping a couple of times but it has been very good and easy to use, quite handy when the weather closes in.
    You can download free maps which are pretty good, there are guides on line. I have a tour planned over in France this year which I will be following on the Garmin with map back up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘tell me about garmin bike gps, please.’ is closed to new replies.