Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about Forest of Dean
  • nacho
    Free Member

Hi all, never been before and we are thinking of driving up from Devon on Saturday for the day. Can any regulars tell me what it’s like? How technical are the DH trails? (I have ridden Cym Carn DH trail but not well, I’m more XC/trail type of riding) I hear the blue is good fun? How does it hold up in the wet? Also I hear if you explore there is some nice off piste but would we ruin what we found riding it in current conditions…..

psling
    Free Member

This Saturday (9th) the trails are closed due to the Wyedean Rally.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Give Saturday a miss… its the Wyedean Rally, the trails are officially closed. You can get on them from elsewhere but I wouldn’t recommend it…!

The marked stuff is okay in the wet actually. Blue and red both good fun. The DHs aren’t too technical, if you’ve done Cmwcarn you’ll be fine. In fact lots of people session them on XC bikes to be fair. Couple of bigger drops on the new GBU track but you can go round them easy enough.

Off-piste stuff – so much its unreal if you’re prepared to explore. People still seem to ride them when its muddy, a lot of FOD seems to drain quite well.

I love it there, its an awesome place to ride

Go Sunday instead!

LoCo
    Free Member

his just popped up on facebook from the weekends race, he was ok with a little bruise on his hip.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/297874/#top

FOD is ace too BTW 😀

nacho
    Free Member

What a bummer. I rarely get the day out (2 small kids, work etc) and had the day booked for Saturday, don’t think I’ll be able to do Sunday and now I hear FOD is closed. Gutted! Stll better to hear it on here than drive all the way up on Saturday. Might have to go to Afan or Cym Carn. I would have been on my Heckler so sounds like the DH stuff would have been fine 😥

Philby

Get yourself to the Quantocks instead!

psling
    Free Member

When you do get the chance to come up here, book yourself in with Fly Up Downhill for an uplift day.

I think you’ll probably enjoy 8)

nacho
    Free Member

Philby – we thoguht of the Quantocks but someone at the LBS said it’s really boggy. I don’t want to ruin the trails! Also we would have to use a map as we don’t know it well – unless anyone from here is riding at the weekend…..might need to start a new post!

nacho
    Free Member

psling – we were going to ride FOD this weekend and if we enjoyed it (and the DH not too crazy) then try an uplift when the weather is a bit better 😀

M1llh0use
    Free Member

gawton not a possibility for you?

nacho
    Free Member

Hi m1llh0use, I think we would go for the Quantocks as opposed to Gawton

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Forest of Dean’ is closed to new replies.