Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tell me about darkside wheels……
  • charliemort

it’s a jungle out there

if there seem to be 3 groups:

– standard alloy ones (eg Ksyrium type things)
    – semi aero (Zipp 404 type)
    – full disc type things

so a full disc is for riding up dual carriageways, not for going up mountains

but – money no object – is there any disadvantage to 404 type things vs Ksyrium type things?

clubber
    Free Member

Typically the weight goes up as they get more aero – at least given the same cost – hence why climbing wheels are less aero (usually) than normal or TT wheels (some exceptions such as “Lightweights” but they’re silly money – like £2.5k IIRC)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Zipps come in different rim profiles, 202 being a pretty standard all-round 25mm profile and 303 and 404s being deeper in section.

Deeper section = heavier, but more aero and stiffer. So 404s are popular with sprinters who value the rigidity as well as testers who like the aero advantage.

What sort of riding do you do?

charliemort

Shibboleth – general riding, a few sportives,the odd time trial, a few triathlons

currently have fulcrum racing 1’s (off ebay)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

If money was no object, I’d go for Zipp 202s, or for more sensible money, the Dura Ace wheels are well worth a look.

Maybe a set of Dura Ace or Ultegra for general riding and sportives and a set of cheaper deep section for testing would be a good compromise. I would imagine Planet X or even the Chinese ebay carbon rims (which seem to be universally well-liked) would be plenty good enough for occasional use.

I’ve just got a pair of Ultegras (around £200) and they’re excellent for the money.

warton
    Free Member

general riding, a few sportives,the odd time trial, a few triathlons

I would say the pros of deep section wheels outweigh the cons in your situation.

An interesting point was made by procycling this month. domestiques that climb mountains in front of their leader will use use aero wheels more often than not, as they can use the extra aero of the wheels, the leaders, as they are normally tucked away until the last 2 or 3 km don’t really need it, and are better served by lightweight wheels.

oh, and they make a great noise 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

currently have fulcrum racing 1’s (off ebay)

Sound good enough

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I was in a similar situ a while back. I am a cat2 but was not sure if the wedge of cash i would spend on some 404s would make any difference… Yes i am tight…

Sportives u really do not need deeps though…

I’ve noticed a slight gain when riding the zipps and they hold top end speed far easier… You really need to be averaging 23+ mph to get real benefit out of them though…

TTs they save a bit of time but by no means huge! Took circa 30secs off my tens… Not done a 25 on em yet.

Only way u wont get a weight penalty is by going tub. But tubs do ride dam nice!

Of if your buying deeps try them. I rode a few brands before i bought, Went zipp as they were nice and stiff… Others are lighter but flexy.

clunker

I run some Hope 3 Hubs and Mavic Open Pro Rims, nice and simple 8)

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Amen clunker… I have a set on my training bike and they are spot on… Also have a set of open pros built by harry rowlands…

For 99% of riding they are perfect!

HarYuken
    Free Member

Fulcrum racing 1’s are very good wheels. If you don’t want to go the deep section route, you will struggle to find better clinchers without spending lots of £££

jonjones13
    Free Member

I’ve got some 2010 404’s I’m selling if your interested…. email in profile

colin27
    Free Member

I honestly think you’ll find more difference with a really light set of wheels. Check out the Mavic R-Sys for a really light and stiff wheel. I’ve been running a pair in the Lakes for a few months now and they are still perfectly true and running sweetly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tell me about darkside wheels……’ is closed to new replies.