Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about broadband over power line.
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Within your own house obviously!
    I have a BT router, and I want to hardwire my DVD player and sky box intot the hub, can I do this using the mystical broadband over my main ring? If so, how, and what do I need to get?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use tplink power plugs to connect my sky box, Apple TV, etc to our fibre optic broadband, works a treat, on demand programmes are ready to play instantly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, just get a couple of power line boxes of your choice. Most vendors do kits e.g. this tplink one.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Tp link with BT here too and they work faultlessly for me.

tinybits
    Free Member

Thank you. As always, the advice is there!

footflaps

Within your own house obviously!

You say that, but many moons ago, I worked on BB over powerline to the home system for Nortel and Norweb.

This ever so small box was installed in a sub station and could deliver a cutting edge 2 x 32 kb/s to the home over a 100m or so of LV mains cable in the street:

Nortel Norweb Power Line Demonstrator by brf, on Flickr

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

have a look on hotdeals uk, there is often a thread about a deal on them somewhere. i got mine from pc world this way at a silly cheap price.

one thing i was told and i hav’nt tried it is instead of taking the broadband feed into the router and then into the base plug via ethernet, get a cable that goes phone socket to ethernet and go straight into the home plug. that way you can shove your router somewhere you need it if required for better house coverage and it apparently guives a better feed as the line is earthed or someting. i’m no techie, may have the reason why wrong, but the BT chap who insdtalled our new master socket for superfast said that was the best thing to do.

thepurist

We used the TP Link as above. All easy to set up, worked fine except it caused massive interference with the FM signal on my alarm clock, so rather than being woken by the dulcet tones of John Humphrys I had something that the CIA would use to stress out their prisoners. Gone wireless now.

ratadog

Used Solwise set up to wire three houses now. No issues other than braodbandf wherever I want it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about broadband over power line.’ is closed to new replies.