Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about Argentina/Patagonia (Ruta 40…)
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

considering a wee trip down that way in january, with my bike (touring).

there’s a road called ruta 40 which covers a fair distance, with the northern section being 1550km – seems about right for 3 weeks cycling.

is argentina easy to get around (am assuming flight to buenos aires, then bus to relevant start/finish point). is hitching easy?

will i get shot in an awful start to a new war over la malvinas the falklands?

Pigface
    Free Member

Wind, wind, wind, met a couple who set off from Ushuaia heading north and gave up due to the headwinds. Beautiful part of the world.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

prevailing winds are from the west. am quite keen to head to Ushuaia, so mebbe i’ll head south to there…

hmm…

patagonia or trans nepal race??????

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into something very similar but flight costs are looking prohibitive – especially once you take bike carriage into consideration. I’d be very keen to hear off any ways around this.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve only looked quickly at skyscanner, but there were return flights from london to buenos aires for less than £800 (in January). some were with BA/Iberia, so am assuming bikes might not be too much of an issue?

i’m looking at either nepal or patagonia, there doesn’t seem to be much in it flight wise…

not looked at internal flights tho (and thought busses/trains might work).

BlindMelon
    Free Member

hungry monkey I have a friend who has riden from Ushuaia to Venezula recently that I could put you in touch with for advice. He isn’t on the forum but if you want to email me (in profile) I’m sure he would answer any questions you have.

loboswan
    Free Member

Not sure re the biking side of things but coach travel is abundant in Argentina and is cheap. You can get a 1st class number with seats that recline into beds plus meals for next to nothing (I travelled from Mendoza to BA for approx £20). Should be easy to find a connection down to the south in BA though it may take a couple of days to get there.

Goodluck

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

cheers guys

blindmelon – many thanks – if i decide to jack in nepal, then i’ll get in touch!

loboswan – just looking at coaches now – don’t look too bad (just not sure if i can get a bike on!)

hmmmm…

Pigface
    Free Member

If the coaches are anything like Chile and Peru they will get the bike on no problem

Nipper99
    Free Member

is this in Marc Beaumont’s book

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ll have to add it to the reading list…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Argentina/Patagonia (Ruta 40…)’ is closed to new replies.