Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tell me about Airbike lights
  • s8tannorm
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience with them? I know about the 'odd' switching and would be happy to live with it but whats the quality like, are they bright enough as a stand alone light, etc, etc.

Opinions please (no need to tell me to buy a DX, ta) 😉

Cheers
    Stuart

BoardinBob

Odd switching only an issue on the SL1 version.

I've got the SL2

Good battery life
    Loads of light though very floody
    Excellent build quality
    Good price (though the DX trumps it)

nickc

As above really, got one to replace my old (and unreliable) HID, and TBH, the battery's smaller, it lasts the same time, if not longer, the light is more than enough (I'm going no slower) and you can change the levels which you couldn't do on my HID, so all good really. If you can wait the DX is about the same though

AndyP
    Free Member

Sl2 is a decent light – good quality etc – but I'd only ever use it as a backup.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Cheers folks, sounds like it could be a goer.

AndyP, why only a backup?

Stuart

Stoner
    Free Member

Its not just a backup. Plenty bright enough on its own although it can be a bit floody.
    If you want to it works well with a head spot like a DX torch.

duckman

They are great, buy mine!

nickc

I'm wondering why you'd only rate it as a back-up as well?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

+1

It's my first 'proper' light so I've nothing to compare it against but I'm impressed. Good build quality, good run times, enough light for fast techy stuff. I only regret not getting a helmet mount, but I guess that's personal preference.

snowslave

V good bright floody light – ideal for bar mount. The mount itself is a bit heath robinson, and it's not exactly a quick release mechanism, but a small quibble in the bigger scheme of things.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can screw a better QR clamp on the bottom.

like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29580

for £1.50

Jamie
    Free Member

AndyP – Member
    Sl2 is a decent light – good quality etc – but I'd only ever use it as a backup.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

+2 (or is it 3?) asking why only for a backup?

tang
    Free Member

fine here, with a torch on the lid.

mboy
    Free Member

Had my SL2 since December, it's been great!

As stated above, weird switching only affects the SL1.

When compared to a lot of much more expensive lights, it makes them look silly. It's as bright as many, brighter than a lot, and costs a lot less. As said above, only trumped by the DX light in terms of value now really, but of course the DX light wasn't available 11 months ago so I got the Airbike light. Compared to a Hope 4 it seemed to be a more usable light (to my eyes at least) and beats every HID I've seen hands down. A troutelight will monster it though I suspect, but you're looking at £250 for a light and battery combo there (which of course represents very good value still compared to a Lupine Betty!).

It is floodier than a lot of lights, but personally I prefer that. I run with a DX torch on my head to provide a bit more penetration when its needed. In fact, now they've brought the price down to £100, I'm tempted to get another one and run 2 of them on my bars, for when I need that bit extra light! 😉

PJay
    Free Member

It's my first 'proper' light too, and only used in commuting situation to date so I guess that my opinion isn't really useful. I've got the SL1 unit and the switching is awful really, not only do you have to switch off/on to toggle modes (potenially rather unnerving if you're moving when you want to change mode) but because the on/off switch doubles as the toggle the light turns on in a different mode to the one you turned it off in, so you have to toggle your way back around if you use a given mode frequently. Since it's a rocker switch too I'd worry about durability over time. I don't know how the SL2 compares, if I remember rightly it has a push button switch but I don't know if there's any sort of last mode memory. What Mountain Bike didn't rate them very well in a recent light test and to my eye they don't look particularly well sealed. The (first batch) instructions are dreadful too, but these may have improved. Oh, and the SL1 clamp is also horrid.

That said they seem pretty well made and are very bright (compared to the basic lights I've used in the past) and seem really good value for such a bright light/battery/charger kit. I'm pleased with mine for the money spent and my limited needs.

AndyP
    Free Member

crikey!
    1) not bright enough IMO, and not good enough beam.
    2) try mounting that fecker on your lid…

It's OK for slow off-road stuff. For the road it's a nice bar backup to a good helmet light.

switching – it's a low-med-bright-flash single 'click' cycle. no low-off-med-off crap like the SL1. No 'memory' though, always starts from low beam.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Sorry meant to ask before, do they come with a charger? … when bought via On-One.

Cheers
    Stuart

AndyP
    Free Member

yep

Olly
    Free Member

crikey!
    1) not bright enough IMO, and not good enough beam.
    2) try mounting that fecker on your lid…

are they not 900lumens?

i used a 900 lumen hope at bike radar and used it 4 clicks off the top brightness, as it was too bright!

AndyP
    Free Member

I don't think a lumens score by itself means much. Without a good reflector etc… for this light, by the time the beam is a decent distance from the lamp itself, that's reduced massively. Much less bright beam than my L&M Arc, for instance.

jonb
    Free Member

I've got the SL1. I got a mount off CRC to make it more easily removed from the bike. Switching is annoying but nothing that would ruin a ride. BAttery life is good. Mine's about to enter it's second winter. They are on offer on On-one now IIRC.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It's a good light and was an absolute bargain at the price I got it for lasr December but I find I need a helmet light as well (DX torch) due to it's 'floody' beam.

Lactic
    Free Member

I'm pretty happy with my SL1. Very floody beam but great on the bars with a spotty helmet light. The switch thing is a bit irritating but doesn't make the light any less functional.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Airbike lights’ is closed to new replies.