Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about: Afan in comparison to Cwmcarn Twrch
  • musttryharder
    Free Member

Planning on Afan this weekend with a friend.
    Not ridden many trail centres.
    We’ve ridden Twrch and got on fine.

Looking at riding W2. How do the descents compare to Twrch?
    Was a bit unnerved by the trail description “rocky drops of the final ‘Darkside’ descent”
    Also if you ride W2 can you opt out of the black descent on Whites?

creamegg
    Free Member

youll be fine. yes you can opt out but its nothing really

grievoustim
    Free Member

You’ll be fine – there is nothing at Afan that can’t be rolled/ ridden round. And nothing very big or scary in the first place

And yes the black is optional and easily avoided

wrecker
    Free Member

Looking at riding W2. How do the descents compare to Twrch?

Different, more of them (longer ride) and great fun!

Was a bit unnerved by the trail description “rocky drops of the final ‘Darkside’ descent”

Don’t be. It is more rocky than the FD at Cwmcarn but its rollable.

Also if you ride W2 can you opt out of the black descent on Whites?

The black is entirely optional. At the top of the climb out of Glyncorwyg it will open out. Turn left for the Black option (which you climb back up to the same spot anyway), straight on (W2/Whites signage) to continue. Nothing to be too concerned about on the black anyway; entirely rollable with one semi steep rocky section.
    The Blade descents are a bit more spicy IMHO.

musttryharder
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the info. Sounds like we won’t die then 🙂

RicB

We rode the Blade and Wall last weekend.

I struggle to describe just how truly awful, dull & uninspiring the Blade trail was. No flow, no interest, no challenging bits. The only bit worth doing is the final descent. You can easily climb back up to do most of this from Skyline cafe anyway. It is quite a rocky descent though – certainly at the top-end of red grading imo. All rollable but the landing spots behind some of the rocks were loose and unsighted.

Wall was fantastic – fast, swoopy, few rocky bits, some good bits to pop-off. We did it twice. Basically everything Blade isn’t

kedmun
    Free Member

musttryharder – Member
    Planning on Afan this weekend with a friend.
    Not ridden many trail centres.
    We’ve ridden Twrch and got on fine.

If you’ve not ridden the new trail at Cwm Carn, Cafall, do it…it’s bloody awesome, especially in this dry weather.

Really enjoyed Afan too (Y Wal and Penhydd = great day out), but overall had a better experience at Cwm Carn with Cafall and Twrch.

ThePilot
    Free Member

OP, you’ll be fine, Afan is all very rideable. But fun too.

Also, just as a balance to RicB’s comments, I thought the Blade was one of the best trails I’ve ever ridden. The Wall is good too but not as good IMO. Horses for courses as they say 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

If you’ve not ridden the new trail at Cwm Carn, Cafall, do it…it’s bloody awesome, especially in this dry weather.

Depends what you like. Cafall is MUCH more XC than anything at Afan (which is still XC…but much more interesting/challenging)
    And the Blade is much more challenging than the wall or whites.

joolsburger
    Free Member

+ 1 for Ric

Hated Blade but seem to be in a minority.

musttryharder
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Rode W2 on Saturday and really enjoyed it. The Whites climb was err, climby.
    Overall I think we preferred the Wall, seemed a nicer balance of climb and decent.

Cwncarn Cafall and Bike Park Wales next on the trail centre todo list.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about: Afan in comparison to Cwmcarn Twrch’ is closed to new replies.