Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Telescope- recommend me one
  • hora
    Free Member

I love seeing meteor showers, the recent ISS and thought it’d be nice to show hora jnr astronomy, see if its his thing/or just to broaden his horizons (!) really.

Recommendations- easy to use yet powerful. I’d love a proper big one but I don’t have an acre of land spare and my evil lair is 100% underground.

peterfile
    Free Member

This would be worth a shot?

hora
    Free Member

Lemonysam- out of the first two links – what is the power difference (i.e would you really be able to tell the difference for a newbie?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Lemonysam- out of the first two links – what is the power difference (i.e would you really be able to tell the difference for a newbie?

Power’s the wrong way of looking at it really – it’s more about getting contrast on fainter objects. To be honest for the kind of stuff you’d likely be looking at (the moon, the big open clusters, M42, doubles, jupiter’s moons/saturns rings) it would be good enough and easy for a kid to handle plus the fact it’s so small means you can take it camping and dark skies will make more difference than a bigger scope.

lemonysam
    Free Member

For size comparison.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Also, binoculars are probably a better bet but personally I don’t get on with them

hora
    Free Member

it would be good enough and easy for a kid to handle plus the fact it’s so small means you can take it camping

Hes 5 and that ^ would mean its perfect for camping this Spring/Summer. Thanks 😀

Also, binoculars are probably a better bet but personally I don’t get on with them

Not a bad idea- more portable although alittle pervy

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Mini dobson as already suggested or a small refractor as a beginner scope. Bino’s are also a good shout but especially for a wee feller, it’s really hard to keep things still in view.

Dark skies, google sky map and good gloves in winter!

Trimix
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Telescope- recommend me one’ is closed to new replies.