Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ted James Design – phwoar
  • v666ern
    Free Member

Whilst perusing his site
    http://www.tedjamesdesign.com/

I happened upon this beauty

Im not even going to mention the STW dwellers bike thats on there (also bike p0rn) 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ted James Heath Robinson Design

FTFY

v666ern
    Free Member

^lol

Also can someone who knows these things tell me what it actually is / is doing!?

Is it essentially an alfine/hub gear but mounted to the frame rather than the hub – if so whats the benefit i assume all the weight is in one place?

fasthaggis

Needs some 3D printing and it’ll be reet. 😉

JAG

Certainly ‘looks’ like an Alfine hub that’s been mounted in the frame with a sprocket attached to an output shaft.

The only advantage I can think of is that it can be run with a standard single speed rear wheel.

Only it can’t – because the drive sprocket on the wheel is on t’other side as is the brake disc and caliper/frame mounting lugs etc….

So no advantage and no idea why you’d bother! 8)

kimbers

just needs a bit of cowling and itll be fine, well less ugly than an ebike anyway

tang
    Free Member

That bike was at bespoked a few years back. Properly inventive, and ridden wildly by ted, a 29r that was so short up the back for tricks and jumping. Juan Antonio Flecha is currently riding a stainless bike on his course recons for Eurosport that he made with some mods to the new Ritchey breakaway system, beautiful frame.
    My bike is there on the gallery…well worth checking his instagram for some other lovely builds.

qwerty
    Free Member

4ork spork.

submarined
    Free Member

So Much Why.

fasthaggis

So Much Why.

A lot of hub gear users say they notice the extra weight on the back.
    No rear mech hanging out to get trashed.
    I reckon belt drives and a lightweight gearbox would bring it up to full awesomeness 🙂

slowoldman

Or do it properly with a Pinion gearbox.

toby1

So Much Why.

Cos Ted rides bikes, well. He doesn’t always care about them being pretty, just doing what he wants them to.

That’s not to say he can’t make a pretty bike, cos he can, he just doesn’t always choose to.

tang
    Free Member

Bear in mind this bike was pre pinion and the days when 29rs were in the main barge like.

qwerty
    Free Member

So Much Why.

[video]https://youtu.be/o3o1WkW3Dps[/video]

Just because those who can, can…

I don’t think it has to make sense to the mainstream, i guess if you have an itch you scratch it.

v666ern
    Free Member

My bike is there on the gallery

Thats what i was getting at up ^ – you get a whole photo shoot – it is lovely though

well worth checking his instagram for some other lovely builds.

Already on it – i was searching for a general cost to swap a ti headtube from 1 1/8 to tapered…im guessing the answer will be 😯

qwerty
    Free Member

My bike is there on the gallery…

miketually
    Free Member

TJD makes some absolutely lovely bikes.

That’s a great way to get a gearbox bike, with the weight nice and central. Nicolai did one similar – it’s very off-putting to ride alongside because the chain from the wheel to the gearbox keeps moving while the rider freewheels.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I want them cranks

tomhoward

Bin dun…

Is the rear hub fixed, like on the gt?

ctk
    Free Member

Weight more central surely a good thing?

Machines headtubes/BBs etc for himself and other UK frame builders.

belugabob
    Free Member

Nice to see him using the full range of Shimano products available to him, although I think it’s Tiagra, rather than Alfine.

Should have gone Ultegra, though.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

They never stopped to think if they should…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ted James Design – phwoar’ is closed to new replies.