Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • technophobe needs IT help
  • Dark-Side

I think my network card may have given up the ghost, is there anyway I can tell before ordering a new one?
    Thanks

Spongebob
    Free Member

Left click on "computer", select "manage", select "device manager". Look for any yellow attention symbols. If one appears next to your network adapter, you have a problem. See what it says. If there are no attention symbols, look down the list for the adapter and click on it to look at "properties". One of the tabs will say "this device is working properly", (or not). If not, try the "uninstall" option, then right click and "search for hardware changes". The device you deleted will then re-install.

After his look at "network" and look for your adapter.

Have a fiddle with it until you work it out. Swot I did!

Good luck!

cranberry
    Free Member

what makes you think that your network adapter is dead?

They do sometimes die, but they are by no means the most fragile part of a network in my experience.

Do I assume you have a cabled network? Have you checked the cables and put a known good cable into the network card? What are the symptoms you are experiencing?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

make sure you have not disabled it in your BIOS (usually under integrated peripherals). Assuming its an embedded one on the motherboard.

Dark-Side

Sorted now thanks guys, it was a faulty network card.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘technophobe needs IT help’ is closed to new replies.