Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Technique for steepish, techyish uphills on flat pedals.
  • Mackem

I’ve recently switched over to flats after about 20 years of SPDs. I’m managing fine on downhills, flat bits and fire-road type uphills. But, I’m struggling when it gets steep with techy features like roots, ruts, rocks etc.

Is there anything that is probably blindingly obvious that I’m missing technique wise. My usual uphill method is stand and stomp, I suspect a bit more finesse might be the key, any opinions?

Cheers…

martinh
    Free Member

Stand and stomp is good regardless of whether you clipped or on flats. Probably better on flats because more of your foot is in contact with the pedal

Northwind

For me it’s a sort of slow stomp, just to spread the power a little better and keep traction.

mrblobby
    Free Member

When you say “struggling”, what’s actually happening? Losing traction? Feet coming of the pedals?

brant
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    For me it’s a sort of slow stomp, just to spread the power a little better and keep traction.
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

This. Like driving in snow.

Mackem

..feet off the pedals.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Better shoes/pedals? I use Teva Links and Nukeproof something-or-others and I’ve never had a problem with my feet coming off when climbing.

Are you still in your old SPD ways and trying to pull up?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just to add, I flick between SPDs on my SS and flats on my full bounce and have never really had a problem. I think thats more due to the fact that I ride clipped in as I do on flats (ie, not pulling up as much as I should maybe!).

Mackem

I’m using exactly that combination. – Electrons and Teva.

Probably am trying to pull up – not consciously though – probably just need to think about it more and practise.

jedi

do your feet loose the pedals when riding drops /jumps?

Mackem

No problems with drops/jumps – I dont jump much though (I’m a scaredy cat). Plenty of drops and lots of rocky descending.

jedi

your probs lifting your heal and not relaxing through the ankle as you ascend

Mackem

Makes sense, the foot usually shoots off the front of pedal.

So, basically, I think, slower pedalling, concentrating on keeping the heel down should do the trick.

Cheers.

maxtorque

Also, when you climb, you are probably in a relatively “low” gear and at a high cadence. After years in SPDs your leg muscles get lazy about “returning” your lower leg & foot on the upstroke (because the pedal does that for them with SPDS). So, think conciously about “circular” pedalling. Ideally, time spent riding “1 foot” on a turbo trainer or rollers is the perfect method for developing a nice, smooth, (and powerful) circular pedaling motion. Whilst i generally think that most roadies can’t actually ride for toffee (in terms of skills) generally they have a much better pedalling technique than most MTBers i see 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is there anything that is probably blindingly obvious that I’m missing

You got on with SPD’s for 20 years, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 😈

Mackem

… I like buggering around with new things.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Technique for steepish, techyish uphills on flat pedals.’ is closed to new replies.