Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Technical support for bike build needed…please
  • DaveFell
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have an Orange p7 frame, hope rear wheel, xt cassette and rear mech, King BB (with 2 spacers on each side) and XTR cranks with middle ring, in an attempt to make a 9 speed bike. Problem is the chain line is way off for lower gears as the chainring seems to be way over to the right, but the cranks need all the spacers on the 68mm bb shell.
    Any ideas much appreciated….has anyone made a p7 successfully in to SS?
    Dave

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Surely the BB should be 2 spacers driveside and 1 on the non driveside?

Are you SURE it's a 68mm shell?

foxyrider
    Free Member

eh – 2 spacers each side? Hollowtech BB with 68mm shell use 2 spacers drive and 1 spacers non-drive:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=95

rp16v
    Free Member

just pop one of the spacers off drive side and if loose withoutit then whip it on the left should be ok without tho.

DaveFell
    Free Member

is odd. have tried with three spacers and the xtr won't tighten all the way. They are not hollowtech 2, but like race face with a big tensioning bolt. don't know which year

foxyrider
    Free Member

the newer XTR's have a separate collar on the non-crank side which you use to take up the slack – is this wound into the crank before you fit it?

DaveFell
    Free Member

no, i've tried that and it's not the problem. It seems that the chainring is just too far over. maybe i'll have to try different cranks

foxyrider
    Free Member

def 68mm BB?

Website says yes 🙂 I got no other thoughts 🙁

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Sounds stupid – but the middle ring is actually on the inside of the spider, and not the outside(where the outer should be)?

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I first fitted my 2007 XTR chainset I found in needed a little encouragement to fully locate into the drive side bearing. Took me a 20 mile ride to find this out!

DaveFell
    Free Member

think middle ring is on inside but will check. might try and 'bed in' the cranks. thanks everyone

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Later, at Dave's house…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just a thought, but when you say the 'chain line is off' what exactly do you mean?

The chain line on my 853 Inbred is 'off' too: As in the chain isn't straight in the middle ring and middle sprocket…. But it still works.

It's the 50mm chain line standard and lots of mud room that does it I think. They might "all be like that, sir"

🙂

DaveFell
    Free Member

Think you might be right. The chain is dragged off the chainring on the largest sprocket so do i need a device at the front to keep it on?

gnusmas

i was in the same predicament, someone told me to try it without any spacers and it worked just fine and still is after 4 months, just set my wifes bike up like it too, but she needed one spacer on the non drive side to keep the crank arms the same distance the same each side from the frame. don't think this is 'correct' but it works all the same

DaveFell
    Free Member

the chainset axle sticks out miles if you try that – it really needs those spacers

5lab
    gnusmas

mine was fine, just thought i would share my experience hoping it might work for you. hope you sort it out soon 🙂

br
    Free Member

Also important is how near the ring is to the chain stay.

DaveFell
    Free Member

cheers everyone

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Technical support for bike build needed…please’ is closed to new replies.