Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Technical drawing interpretation
  • nickewen
    Free Member

I’m hoping someone cleverer than me can help me determine what size hole to cut in my worktop for my new electric hob..

I understand dimensions C and D in as much as if you have a tiny strip (40mm) on one side of your hob you need to have a reasonable length on the other side (min 200mm), happy with that.

Now the dimension that says 750/780 is confusing me. At 1st I thought the installation instructions were for two hob models but it seems not.. I have checked the physical hob and 750 seems more appropriate after getting the tape out (it is also smaller so I will go for this naturally 1st if I don’t get any further with my understanding..) but I want to know what the 780 is all about.

Similarly A and B confuse me a little.. I understand if you cut a bigger hole you’ll have less at the back and vice versa for a smaller hole you’ll have more at the back. But not sure why the hole I need to cut should ever change size!

Any help would be much appreciated before I set about butchering my new worktop..

Thanks

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rDGQHL]Hob_Cutout[/url] by VeeeDubStar, on Flickr

martinhutch

Make a test template out of cheap wood first. You can then use it to mark your worktop accurately.

dannybgoode

Remember to measure once and cut three or four times then swear a bit…

GTDave
    Free Member

I would hazard a guess that the hob is available in 750mm & 780mm widths.

muddy9mtb

I would like to help but I’m too busy gluing sawdust back onto my worktop 8)

nickjb
    Free Member

They are tolerances. 750 will be snug, 780 loose. Building work and kitchen fitting isn’t precision engineering. It should have a flange that covers the difference. If you do it too tight then you won’t be able to move it a little to get it square. I’d certainly aim for the smaller sizes though.

Andy-R

Don’t dims. C & D relate to the minimum distance between the hob cut out and a tall unit (or end of the worktop?) either to the left or right?

Otherwise I reckon that drawing does apply to two different hobs, hence the 750/780 and 490/500 dimensions.

I’d measure up the actual hob, rather than relying on the drawing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Otherwise I reckon that drawing does apply to two different hobs, hence the 750/780 and 490/500 dimensions.

I’d measure up the actual hob, rather than relying on the drawing.

This I think too.

Crikey though, I understand companies’ needs to only have to print one set of instructions for everybody in the world, but that could be made a bit simpler. 😕

cp

They are tolerances. 750 will be snug, 780 loose

No they’re not, the tolerance is the small number after it.

I suspect there are two widths of hob. Can’t you just measure the bit of your hob which fits into the recess?

richmars

750/780 is not the tolerance. The tolerance is the little +2 -0 next to some dimensions.

edit, beaten to it.

unovolo
    Free Member

Minimum worktop depth front to rear = 600mm
    Minimum overhang to front/rear of cutout after cutting = 50/60mm
    Minimum distance to left/right of cutout after cutting =40/200mm(for tall unit or other appliance)
    Minimum insertion depth = 35mm measured from top of worktop.
    Cutout depth front to rear = 490-500mm depending on model with a tolerance of +2mm maximum oversize.
    Cutout depth left to right = 750-780 depending on model with a tolerance of +2mm maximum oversize, no tolerance to be undersized hence the 0.

Thats how I read it

nickjb
    Free Member

Now having seen the drawing that’s a terrible mix of dimension methods. I’d bin it and measure the hob.

mudshark
    Free Member

It’s for 2 widths as said – I studied technical drawing but am not a kitchen fitter…actually I did fit one and got a mate to cut the how, the sink came with a template.

rickmeister

Make a template with some cardboard….

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

+1 for available in 750 or 780mm.

Why not measure your hob, or look on the package? Cross/sanity checks are an important thing…

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. Hob hole now cut and fits well at 750mm wide and 490mm deep.. It transpires that the 780 width is if you want to use a spacer bar of 15mm either side which was not really made clear in the instructions. The spacer bar did not come with the hob and I’m not sure I see the point TBH!

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Technical drawing interpretation’ is closed to new replies.