Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Technical compressor question ( ie not which compressor for tubeless tires ;))
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a need to use a needle scaler on a few fairly large projects with footery corners and nooks i cant use a wire wheel or manual brush on and eventually ill need to spray – both undercoat and body work – and id quite like a propper windy gun , they just cannae be beat for stuff like pulley centre bolts , i have an electric one and its a bit mince compared to the windy guns we have at work.

I have my eye on a needlescaler that says it requires 4.5cfm at 6 bar to work .

I also have access to borrow a( very noisy direct drive) rockworth 24l compressor that i can borrow to get me started – it claims a 7.3cfm and 8bar – but for not very long id assume.

Other than the fact itll run out of air very quick am i likely to find other issues – ie the needle scaler doesnt actually work as expected ?

Followed by – getting my own compressor.

Has anyone any experiance of the wolf dakota belt driven range ? 16 amp 3hp motor on a 90-150litre tank at 10bar and 14cfm for between 225 and 345 quid Seems to get decent reviews when you google , only real complaint was about the packaging being mince and some arriving damaged – but i believe the original importers went bust and they have a new company bringing them in, most folk saying if you do have issues the bulk of the parts are transferable from the machine mart spare parts catalogue.

Its a big unit but got a separate shed at the back of the garage for sticking it in.

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok so more reading borrowing the rockworth is probably a hiding to nothing. Ill get a about 10seconds out of it 🙂

Will get the bulk of what i need doing with the wirewheel and evaluate it after that….. Its a toss up between getting the tools to finish the chassis propperly or – new fuel tank and radiator……

View on the wolf still appreciated though

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the wolf specifically, but those needle scalers REALLY consume air. I once helped a friend de-rust a landrover chassis with one – we were using a huge 500l 3 phase garage compressor and it was still running almost non stop to keep up.
    I would go for the biggest you can afford – have looked at what is available secondhand?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a landy chassis i have to do while i have it in bits.

Going to wirewheel the bulk of it , the needle scaler is for the fiddly bits and corners that the knotted wheel just wont do.

Tbh , the HAVS risk would probably mean id need breaks as often as the compressor.

Been looking second hand ,but its mostly pishy 25litre ones forsale – sometimes a 3ph screw type but 3hp is the biggest i can go as im limited to single phase 16amp. And thus 150l seems to be the biggest tank i can get.

A clarke 100l with 3hp belt drive would be circa 400quid. On its own – but might be a safer bet.

Milkie
    Free Member

A big tank is good, but really look at the flow rate of your compressor and the tools to work out what you need.

I wouldn’t go second hand. They rust from the inside out and when they go, they go big! You just don’t know how it was cared for.

I think I’m using a 6hp 200L petrol compressor and it’s only just man enough for sand blasting. I have seen places that have big tanks of compressed air inline which means the compressor isn’t going 24/7 and having the wait for the thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep thats another issue wih going used. Around here its mostly farmers selling up. Which to me means fecked.

Will get on it with the wirewheel the morn and see just how much im left with with regard to the needlegun.

I know the 150l is fine for spraying , i know folk spraying cars with 50l in their garage…. And i only want to do single panels.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect anything you buy at home isn’t going to be as good as what you have at work 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw the wolf was discounted quickly after a friend pointed out some issues he had when it was runningconstantly – basically it got hand meltingly hot due to not having a cast piston and head.

i did how ever borrow my dads 24litre job- just a little clarke thing -its painted all my stuff admirably.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Technical compressor question ( ie not which compressor for tubeless tires ;))’ is closed to new replies.