Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tech Question… Swapping DT swiss hub end caps
  • bloodyshins
    Free Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has converted a rear DT Swiss hub from 12mm bolt thru to QR or similar. I’ve ordered the QR end caps but I’m not sure how to swap em. What is holding them in? Can I just pull em out of the bearing or is there some sort of circlip? Oh the hub is a DT 350 Rear.

Cheers!!!!

JohnnyPanic

On 240’s the rear ones are just a push fit with a ‘click’. I think…
    Tech doc is here
    http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/51ed7491-3146-478d-936b-646cab6d8fc9/Datasheet.aspx

Ambrose

It is an interferance/ friction fit. I removed mine with soft jaws in a vice. Simple job.

mboy
    Free Member

You NEED a different axle too.

For the 12mm it has a 12mm bore down the centre. For QR and 10mm axles, it has a 10mm bore down the centre. The wall thickness is too thin with the 12mm axle in when running the QR end caps, you would risk snapping the axle easily. Sorry to tell you this, but a new QR axle is £45 too…

accu
    Free Member

at eurobike dt swiss stated that all newer rear hubs are easily convertible to different axle standards by simply changing the end caps,
    because all newer ones have the 12mm bolt through axle as standard…
    except the special downhill hubs with 165mm ..
    on my old hügi fr (now 440) rear hub I wanted to change from QR to maxle, so had to change to the new 12mm standard axle..
    for the way back now it is only necessary to change to the QR end caps according to dt swiss..

jimw
    Free Member

on the 240 hubs The DT swiss 9mm qr axle and 10mm bolt through axle are both 135mm wide but have different bores- I have both and the 10mm B/T has noticeably thinner wall thickness. I was advised to change axle when fitting 9mm qr from 10mm.

accu
    Free Member

only talked about the 440..
    they said all new 440 hubs are fitted with the 12mm bolt trough axle, even if ordered as QR version..
    seems to be different for their other hubs..
    anyway.. if I go back to OR, which is not very likely, I`ll keep the 12mm axle..

accu
    Free Member

just had a short look on the link from jonny panic above..
    seems to be right what they said on eurobike..
    the part no 3, RW AXLE, is always the same partnumber ….4635S
    for 135 OR,
    for 10mm thru axle,
    for 12mm thru axle,
    even for the 142mm/12mm axle,
    so same axle for all standards..

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Awesome, cheers for that guys. I did wonder about the axle but everything I found was saying you just changed end caps. Just had a go now and the non drive side one came out with my fingers. Easy… Just need to fing my cassette tool and chan whip now?

JohnnyPanic

Accu has it exactly. This was also my experience changing my rear 240 from QR to 12mm. I had to change the axle as a 12mm bolt through would not fit in the axle of my older model 240 hub. I had to swap out the axle for the newer model, which has the same outside diameter but is thinner walled to accept a 12mm bolt thru. Newer 240 hubs all have the 12mm ale as standard. To change back to QR I would just replace the end caps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tech Question… Swapping DT swiss hub end caps’ is closed to new replies.