Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tech Q 1x11and CX narrow-wide ring Q
  • IainGillam
    Free Member

I’m well behind the times on all the 1×11 gear stuff (only just got 1×10 on the mtb!) However, a post on a US forum piqued my interest.

So for the techies/roadies, is there anything to stop me using a non indexed shifter and a 10 speed rear mech with an 11 speed cassette?

Also do mtb 11speed cassettes, specifically shimano, fit on normal wheels or does it have to be an 11 speed specific like the road stuff?

Finally for the CX folk, does any know of a 50t 110bcd narrow-wide chainring available in the UK? There appears to be a few us options but I couldn’t find stuff for back home.

Thanks!
    Iain

Rorschach
    Free Member

No as long as it has enough throw
    Only shimano 11 speed cassette available now is xtr,
    Hope, raceface or absolute black (maybe superstar)

ianfitz
    Free Member

Apparently the xtr 11 speed 11-40 cassette fits on a regular freehub.

Is 50t a bit big for CX?

IainGillam
    Free Member

Thats good, didn’t realise it was only xtr though and the price!

50t is way too big for CX everyone seems to max put at 42ish bar 2 manufacturers in the US as far as I’ve found so far.

My plan is to stick it on a TT bike, keep my current rear mech and use the non indexed front shifter to move the rear mech thus enabling me to be able to use 10 or 11 speed cassettes.

Iain

ianfitz
    Free Member

If you don’t need the range at the low end there are other 11 speed options. Sram 11-32 for example. Then again many cheap 10 speed options up to 36 are about.

Also would you need thick thin chain retention on the road? Maybe that number of teeth would be enough to keep it on. I don’t know?

simondbarnes

My plan is to stick it on a TT bike, keep my current rear mech and use the non indexed front shifter to move the rear mech thus enabling me to be able to use 10 or 11 speed cassettes.

Why would you want an 11-40 cassette on a TT bike?

IainGillam
    Free Member

Why would you want an 11-40 cassette on a TT bike?

I’m more interested in being able to use an 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed wheel so I can try it on my training wheels. Basically I have a powertap which is a 10 speed freehub and whilst my race wheels can take an 11 speed road cassette I’d need a month or so beforehand trialling it before I committed to racing with it.

If the Sram ones also work on normal freehubs I’ll take a look at those.

Also would you need thick thin chain retention on the road? Maybe that number of teeth would be enough to keep it on. I don’t know?

Scanning a few TT/Tri forums I’m led to believe that even the narrow-wide might not be enough to keep the chain on! There seems to be quite a few people with experiences of trying normal single ring set ups on TT bikes and dropping chains. This is one of the reasons I’d want to test it out for a good while before committing to race with it as dropping a chain in a race would be horrendous.

Iain

simondbarnes

If the Sram ones also work on normal freehubs I’ll take a look at those.

They won’t – you’d need an 11spd freehub.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Bugger, it does look like I can convert my powertap to 11 speed which would work out cheaper than the XTR cassette so I’ll probably go that route.

Iain

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tech Q 1x11and CX narrow-wide ring Q’ is closed to new replies.