Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tech q
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Is it possible to get something that lets you play an ipod through a car sound system that doesn’t have any i/o ports/sockets? All it’s got is cd and radio. I’m thinking it would be something you’d plug your ipod in and then it would transmit the music via radio waves which the car radio could then pick up..?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Yes, just that,

I have this belkin one: Link

Works well. Seem to remember there was a question regarding their legality in the uk so maybe they’re not widely available.

defydude
    Free Member

Be aware the quality will not be the best and for £40/50+ you can get a new head unit with aux/usb etc in.

RealMan
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks you two.

maccruiskeen

The transmitters are a bit of a nightmare frankly, unless you can get one that can tune to a frequency outside those typically broadcast on then travelling through/past any large conurbation is fruitless. And for frequent short journeys they are a bit of pain too. If you typically drive the same route all the time and can find that golden bit of free airspace then maybe they’re fine

I used to use one because I use a lot of hire vehicles so couldn’t depend on having a jack to plug into – but everything I hire has one now.

As above, head units are cheap, and are better value solution than using a transmitter

leffeboy

If you do use the transmitter it is well worth getting an extension cable to place it closer to the receiver antenna rather than the next to the radio itself – it makes a huge difference. Sometime the antenna is either on the roof at the back or sometimes the rear window heating wires ( I believe). I was about to throw my Belkin out until I spotted that little trick and now it works perfectly.

kayak23

Better than an fm transmitter is a connector box from connects2. I had one for my fiesta. All sorts of solutions are available. Have a search.
    connects2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tech q’ is closed to new replies.