Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tech help. Raceface Cinch problem.
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hi guys, can anyone help with a weird problem?

Got a mates bike I’ve helped him change the bb with. It’s a raceface cinch system.

Its a 73bb threaded bb shell so we’ve put one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side cup.

When the drive side 8mm bolt is up tight there is still a fair gap on the non drive side.

You are supposed to wind the side tension thingmybob up to preload the bearing laterally but when you do it screws off the end of the threads because of the gap, before you get it to bite up.

I’ve thought we could add a spacer on the non drive side cup but will that mean the internal sleeve let’s muck into the system from and water that’s increased in the frame?

Anyone found similar and got a good solution?

benpinnick

What bike & bb is it on? Are the cranks original with the bike?

chilled76
    Free Member

Cotic Soul.

The previous bb didn’t have the same issue, it’s like the new bb is very slightly narrower

nickdavies

Have you used the same bottom bracket?
    If you don’t use a rf one I think you need spacers.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yes it’s the same bb aledgidely.

I’m try a spacer on the non driveside cup and see what happens.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I had a weird issue on my Aeffect cinch cranks with Hope BB on a recent install, had a gap like you mention and the only way I could eliminate it AND have the crank arms line up correctly was to install 2 spacers, both on the drive side BB cup.

Plus, on Aeffect cranks at least, there are, or should be several non-drive side axle thin elastomer spacers which can be prised off/added as needed. It seems that they take up the final slack. Aeffect also uses a weird approx 8mm spacer on the drive side axle – not sure if your crank would require these though?

Onzadog
    Free Member

My Hope bb with 6c cranks is similar. I just put a wheels manufacturing 1mm x 30mm spacer each side.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Just covering all possibilities, you’ve still got the washer/ seal on the drive side of the crank?

chilled76
    Free Member

Yes the seal is present on both sides.

chilled76
    Free Member

My Hope bb with 6c cranks is similar. I just put a wheels manufacturing 1mm x 30mm spacer each side.

Where do I get some of these?

honourablegeorge

Crc do a hope 1mm spacer, I use one for my sixc/hope bb setup

Edit – here… it’s an unimpressive item for two quid

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/hope-bottom-bracket-spacer/rp-prod36416

Onzadog
    Free Member
    tillydog
    Free Member

Not sure if this helps.

Poopscoop

I had similar issue and luckily had a 30mm spacer from an old BB that sorted it.

Remember the CRC ones above go behind the BB cup rather than on the outside on the axle itself.

I used a 30mm ID one as I wanted the BB cups to be fully into the pressfit shell as mechanically that is a better solution in my eyes.

Hope that makes sense? 🙂

Poopscoop

The red spacer is what I used.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tech help. Raceface Cinch problem.’ is closed to new replies.