Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Tech help – freeing stuck plastic fork top cap
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

HE-E-ELP!

Trying to service an old pair of Rock Shox pilot SLs by changing the oil etc and have come across an intractable problem – a plastic top cap that is supposed to screw out, but won’t. What the F Rock Shox are doing making a part like this out of plastic, God only knows.

It’s part 10 in this drawing:

Even using the exact tool the instructions tell you to use, a 24mm socket, it won’t budge and the corners of it have already sheared a wee bit.

Have tried loosening it off round the edges underneath the lip of it with one of those scraper blades you use to remove paint splashes from glass etc, but to no avail.

Apart from the obvious answer of throw the whole pile of shite in the bin and buy new forks, anyone got any suggestions?

Could I forget about the top cap and top up the oil from the bottom of the stanchion? Or would it not get into the right bit of the fork internals from there?

This is the kind of obstacle that defeats every attempt I ever make at DIY maintenance following apparently clear instructions. Does my head in.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You probably need one of those sockets where the corners are cut away to prevent them shearing the nut corners. Can’t remember what they’re called. The transfer the force to the flats better.

coatesy
    Free Member

A hex socket rather than a bi-hex may have done the job, not so sure if you’ve mashed it though.As for what Rock Shox were doing using plastic parts-obviously saving a fortune.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Tech help – freeing stuck plastic fork top cap’ is closed to new replies.