Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • TeamGB's daily training diet has not a…
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Chickpea or a lentil in sight.. these guys must actually be doomed:

6.30am Breakfast

Typically porridge, scrambled eggs, cereal, coffee

7.45am On track

Endurance interval training behind motorbike: warm up, then blocks of 20 minutes with five minutes rest in between

9.45am Off track

10am Rest

Includes a massage, flexibility and injury troubleshooting with physiotherapist, a once-over from the team doctor, media work, play Xbox in team room

12noon Lunch

Typically rice and quinoa salad with chicken, ham, sweetcorn, emphasis on healthy, high-energy food. Snacks during the day include home made rice cakes, energy bars, gels and broccoli juice

2pm On track

Warm up then rolling 5,000m efforts in team pursuit formation

5pm Off track

5.30-6pm Stretching

Often using a roller to work on the quadriceps muscles and flexibility under physio supervision, to help ensure the exercises are done perfectly, and to iron out any issues

7pm Return to hotel

Dinner is typically chicken, pasta, sweet potato mash, risotto, couscous

9pm Rest, then bed

From The Guardian: Behind the scenes of British cycling’s Olympic boot camp

– a great article, incidentally. 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

And you’re surprised by that?

ahwiles
    Free Member

elite athletes in ‘carbs + protein + exercise’ shocker!

finbar
    Free Member

No gluten and minimal lectins and phytates. Nice. Only thing i’d nix is the quinoa. Oh, and the sweetcorn.

iDave
    Free Member

iDave diet was for weight-loss down to 12% BF, and also allows carbs during and after exercise, so what’s your point OP?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

elite athletes in ‘carbs + protein + exercise’proper balanced diet shocker!

😉

Oh, and pleased to see that they’re not vegetablists! 🙂

akak
    Free Member

They can keep the broccoli juice ❗

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

so what’s your point OP?

… oh, I dunno – a friendly poke in the ribs 😉

It looked like an interesting article.

I guess my experience on this iDieting is that there doesn’t seem to be enough available carbs in it to facilitate regular high-intensity training. The availablity of carbs in legumes, despite how many I eat, leave me simply feeling washed out and with very low background energy day-to-day. The quantity of carbs that are ‘allowed’ before and after exercise, according to your guidelines do not account for the intensity of the exercise, the iDieters bodyweight, or gender, so – as a scientist – it makes me doubt their genuine validity for everyone.

I’ve lost weight in the past by simply doing shite-loads of cardio. When I was cycle-touring for 8-9 hours every day in NZ, I literally couldn’t eat enough food and finished the tour thin-as, bro.. 😉

Despite my misgivings, I think your approach does have some appeal. The thing I agree with most is actually incorporating more pulses etc into my diet, particularly at night, instead of pasta. That just seems to make some sort of intuitive sense to me, as a biologist.

I’m just not so sure about the ‘prescriptiveness’ of it all. The rigid rules. It’s almost like a kind of food-fascism, with principles which I’m not so sure can apply equally to everyone – particularly athletes who are engaging in high-intensity aerobic activity everyday. I need grains in the morning. I need grains at lunchtime. I like milk.

But, thank you for your inspiration! Your diet has actually opened up a ‘new’ approach to things for me that I would otherwise not have been aware of. Instead of shovelling down a plateful of pasta late at night after a long run, I’m eating chickpeas. This may not actually help me lose weight, but it does seem more nutritionally ‘sensible’. And I do now have the most virrulent 24hr parp-age imaginable!

The thing is though, how on earth do I know when I’ve reached this magic 12% BF? According to my BMI chart, I am towards the top of ‘ideal’ weight for my height. Yet I can see all my ribs and have veins visible around my waist…. (sorry veins – gross!) Yet I have absolutely no idea what my %BF is, or how to find it out.

Perhaps I should stop worrying about this, but this focusing on dieting, performance and body image takes my mind off other crap things in my life, I suppose. 😆

I realise I shouldn’t have started this thread and ignored it since leaving work last night, but any further input from Hal, sorry.. iDave would be great… Cheers! 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Err it’s not a personalised plan, it’s a rough outline – I think the idea being you actually pay them (given it’s a business) if you want specific information to suit your goals/training regime.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Okay… then. I shall scurry away back into my little hole then. 😀

bigdawg
    Free Member

the odd thing I noticed during this years racing and training that following i-dave actually seemed to give me more energy and not as ‘puffy’ – During races also I found I didnt rely on drinks for (previously using up to 1500ml per 2 hour race) I now just about finish a 500ml bottle, and performance has risen, (vets cat) from a mid 20s finish to hovering just outside the top 10.

Did I cut out carbs totally, no I give myself two days a week of eating what I want (usually known as the weekend!) but still since April ive lost and kept off over two stone…

Ive come to the opinion carbs arent the most efficient way of taking in energy…

Marko

That just seems to make some sort of intuitive sense to me, as a biologist.

Walk of shame there.I always suspected biology was a pseudo-science 8)

Marko

OmarLittle
    Free Member

This playing x-box part of the training looks good. I reckon i can step it up a bit and put at least 3 hours a day of that in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘TeamGB's daily training diet has not a…’ is closed to new replies.