• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paton.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Team Wiggins and Tour D' Yorkshire
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sad to see the team excluded. But I guess the reasons are justified
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39357541

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Race organisers said the event was oversubscribed and “unfortunately someone had to miss out”.

What reason? If you’re making a statement by doing something say what you mean.

scaredypants

What reason? If you’re making a statement by doing something say what you mean.

This says more then they probably could get away with in any formal statement – IMO

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sadly I think you are right.

I feel that there is a real hard push to encourage teams from Europe to enter and be included, partly political and partly because events like this are always oversubscribed.
    Film rights will be shown all over Europe, it’ll showcase the U.K. is a fabulous environment for sporting events and the political angle is the U.K. is “open for business”

I don’t think the current controversy over Wiggo has any effect on the decision making process.

scaredypants

I don’t think the current controversy over Wiggo (and his DS, Mr Cope) has any effect on the decision making process.

Really? – They wouldn’t be concerned at all that their burgeoning reputation as a “big” race might be tarnished or even just overshadowed by a load of potential media speculation/heckling/pots’o’piss ?

(or am I missing the 😉 )

martinhutch

In previous years the team meant that Wiggins himself would be riding, which is not the case any more. Means they are not such an attractive proposition in marketing terms.

The other stuff may have compounded that, but I daresay they had plenty of non-controversial reasons.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I can’t help but get the impression they are punishing the riders of Team Wiggins rather unnecessarily here – what have they actually done to be excluded?

As has been said, if you want have a dig at BW, then have the balls to say so.

Then again there maybe other reasons for not giving the team a place.

Unfortunately, that’s not the impression I get.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s not like Wiggins were in and then were taken out for an actual reason, they didn’t get a place from the outset, which is quite different.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There is no smilie. I didn’t intend to put one in the post.. you can have this one if you feel you are missing one 😉

Wiggo isn’t riding, he wasn’t going to ride, so no controversial or ambiguous innuendo.

18 Jan 2017 – The Androni Giocattoli and Nippo-Vini Fantini teams have expressed their shock and disappointment at being snubbed for a wild card invitation to the 2017 Giro d’Italia

It’s not the same thing, that’s obvious, but two pure Italian teams have been excluded from this years Giro. Races are oversubscribed, the owners have to make choices.

In the TdY there will be pressure from BC and local/regional development agencies to promote the UK into Europe, this will have been divulged to the owners of the race, that’s obviously obvious.

No smilie in that, none intended.

But have a stand alone one here ➡

scaredypants

bikebouy – Member
    😉

Awww, cheers !
    proper made my day

( 😐 )

eddie11
    Free Member

the owners of the race are ASO. they don’t care about a pro conti british team with nice jerseys. now wiggins isn’t ridding its just a uk development squad. they were never really in the picture i suspect. They’ll have more chance with ToB.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

They didnt treat the race with a lot of respect last year (perhaps understandable for some of the team with everything being all geared for Olympic preparation) but they also had a similar attitude to other domestic races too which has meant they dont really have great results to say they are worth a place on merit.

juanghia
    Free Member

The race is being held during Pollen Season.

The disgraced cyclist bradley wiggins’ team would have had an unfair advantage.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree with Bikebuoy.

Organisers are far likely to be more interested in raising the race’s profile internationally than in making some vague “statement” about Wiggo’s TUEs.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Omar is the closest to the real reason I suspect.

The Wiggins team doesn’t exactly support U.K. Races as they’re always abroad racing, haven’t entered National rounds or Tour Series etc etc. So can hardly be surprised UK races not supporting them.

Getting into races is a privilege not a right.

mudshark
    Free Member

But TUEs don’t aid performance in theory….

What other British teams are at the same level as Team Wiggins?

lunge

They didnt treat the race with a lot of respect last year (perhaps understandable for some of the team with everything being all geared for Olympic preparation) but they also had a similar attitude to other domestic races too which has meant they dont really have great results to say they are worth a place on merit.

This sums it up for me. You get into these races largely on merit, they’re not winning races or even lighting things up so why would you invite them?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

^^^^^

That’s what makes sense to people who know how racing works but for many casual viewers it’s all about wiggo’s comedy turns at the back of the peloton before he solos clear to victory.

flange
    Free Member

The Wiggins team doesn’t exactly support U.K. Races as they’re always abroad racing,

Not sure about that chap – I watched them racing an E/1/2 from the bottom of my drive on Sunday in East Sussex. But I do get what you mean – for the level of team that they are, on the domestic circuit their presence seems a little lacking. One Pro Cycling on the other hand….(2xBMW 5 series support cars, 2 vans and some sort of massive tent thing).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I can’t help but get the impression they are punishing the riders of Team Wiggins rather unnecessarily here – what have they actually done to be excluded?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36173351

Wiggins pulled out during the 1st stage last year which was a bit of insult – if “planning for Rio was a priority” why did he even enter, it’s not like the Olympics was a surprise. Did he/they get an appearance fee? He also pulled out of the Abu Dhabi tour (run by ASO rival RCS but showing a pattern of behaviour) at the last minute to prepare for the 6-day “races”. He also has a reputation for failing to turn up to press junkets that have riled backers.

Add to that Simon Cope, at the centre of the jiffy bag storm, is now employed by Team Wiggins (DS or manager depending on where you read it) and it’s all press interest that would detract from the event.

jonnyboi

Lots of good reasons discussed above as to why they missed out. So far I haven’t seen any coherent argument in the press as to which of the successful teams were less deserving than team wiggins either.

aP
    Free Member

Bradley is high profile and attracts attention, however, he isn’t predictable and is likely as not to tell a joke about “carrying out a sex act” at your child abuse charity dinner as he is to say something positive.

jonnyboi

he’s not racing so would only be in fleeting post race interviews anyway

lunge

Indeed, maybe we should turn the question round and ask why would they be invited?

prawny

I agree with Eddie, plus lunge makes a good point.

It’s a French race in Britain, there’s no reason British continental teams should take priority over other conti teams.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Team Wiggins and Tour D' Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.