Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Teaching myself, am I a mental?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Work in IT (surely not? on Singletrack forum someone works in IT? well I never!) but fairly bottom of the ladder, software support.

I went to college and did and HNC which got me out of finance and into this, but I’m never happy. My dream job is web design/development and there is the potential to move into this within my job.

Thing is moneys not great so going back to college is not easy at the moment and the way my job works its a little constrictive time wise. So I’ve been trying to learn what I can at home (HTML/CSS/Javascript) and I know I’ve got a long way to go, but I’m looking for tips and what I should perhaps be doing next.

A bloke I spoke to at work suggested getting into WordPress as that’s a good place to gain some practice.

soma_rich
    Free Member
    scaled
    Free Member

Do you have an MSDN license as work that you can use?

There’s a well structured path for ASP.net developers

Taking a look on the MS site you can do a free course on HTML5 at the moment with a free exam as well!

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/offers/html5.aspx

Which leads you on to the MCSD track

And you get to put little logos on your CV :p

Oh, and you’re not mad, the exams are quite easy and are really jsut to make you aware of what the software is capable of. I’ve worked my way through to MCITP (which is now in the process of being retired) and i need to complete another two exams for my MSCE (yes, its back!) Private Cloud. I’ve never paid for anything other than the exams in that time.

It’s pretty much a constant upgrade path for you once you get on the wagon.

allthepies
    Free Member

There are loads of teach yourself guides on HTML/CSS etc on t’interweb.

Best way to learn is to come up with a little project and implement it IMO.

I wouldn’t go down the Microsoft-centric route personally but would concentrate on open standards.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My dream job is web design/development and there is the potential to move into this within my job.

if there is this potential then you are laughing.

Get some decent books and teach yourself, and then see if you can get this opportunity.

Even if you can’t there are plenty of small businesses that have need web design skills – you can offer to do some sites for free to get some experience to put on your cv, whilst you are working where you are.

Exams are one thing but in reality you will want to work for the types of firms that will be looking down your cv for evidence of innovation/practivity/etc and being a self-starter counts. Example web sites you can list will be good.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Channel9 and Bob Tabars’ Videos on HTML5, CSS and JS are pretty good

BobaFatt
    Free Member

All good advice, thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Teaching myself, am I a mental?’ is closed to new replies.