Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • teaching kids, how much is too much.
  • juan
    Free Member

Good morning, the SO’s little one is now a capable rider. He can pedal without stabilisers, pretty much handle the brakes, turn et behave correctly when there is a stop road sign or a car coming. He want to throw himself into stair but so far we have managed to avoid it ;).

Now the question is should I stop teaching him, or should I make him do some little exercices such as slalom or going over small woops? I don’t want bike to become another constraint from the adult world. At the moment he’s happy to ride down to the café with me for a hot chocolate. Should I keep things as they are and just pootle with him, or can I do some more funky exercices with him to improve is balance?

What does the STW collective thnks?

richcc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ‘teach’ him, I’d just incorporate new features into your rides – curbs, bollards etc and give him chance to ride them

alpin
    Free Member

what are small woops? for that matter, what are big woops?

just make riding fun….

fadda

What they ^^^ said. You can give him a bit of “stretch” without making it into a lesson.

I’m guessing that, for instance, if you weave around some bollards on the way to the coffee shop, he’ll just follow you…?

FuzzyWuzzy

Make him learn back flips before he’s 6, he’s bound to get some good hits on YouTube then

gothandy

Keep it fun! Also I found when my lot see me having fun on the bike they are keen to try new things. Weirdly watching other kids on YouTube also seems to inspire them in a “I can do that” kind of way.

Which gives me a chance to use the new video tag 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mKkdM2DwPI[/video]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘teaching kids, how much is too much.’ is closed to new replies.