Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • TdF thread [Spoiler alert]
  • crazy-legs

Watched it tonight for the first time. I have to say that I have no idea whats going on with all the tactics and placings… looks much more to it than I thought.

I watched some of it at work during lunchtime then the last 15km or so in the afternoon and I had to put up with that from all my workmates:
    “Doesn’t it get boring just watching some guys ride bikes”
    “No, they’re not JUST riding bikes, there’s team tactics, temporary alliances, race planning for the next few stages (ie ease off for today so you can win tomorrow), mechanicals, crashes, the scenery, all sorts going on”

Someone requested that it be turned over to watch the cricket. 🙁
    Numpties.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Todays stage was a blinder, better than 2 weeks of poxy tennis. Fair play to the skil shimano lads for getting that many guys up there, plenty of windy days in holland i guess so they should be good when it blows.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Any chance of making this a rolling thread for the whole 3 weeks? My missus is showing a bit more interest this year, but some ‘informed’ opinions and observations (plus some silly ones) never go a miss.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Armstrong tipped off by Hincapie maybe?

Cav suggested they planned to split the peloton

hora
    Free Member

agree with rusty trowel, I sought out this thread to repost as I hate multiple posts on the same subject every day plus this has a handy title 😀

warton
    Free Member

Interesting thought paulsaxo. Also thought it was interesting to see the faithful Popy up with Armstrong, almost like a little sub team within astana. the first mountain stage is going to be very interesting indeed

crazy-legs

Cavendish and Armstrong had a quite a little chat going on mid-race yesterday, TV cameras caught most of it cos they’re both “watched” riders. After todays stage win, Cavendish gave Armstrong a congratulatory hug so maybe there’s some truth in the rumour – forge at least a temporary alliance that works to the advantage of both riders. Armstrong in particular has always been tactically astute, look at the Alpe d’Huez stage a few years ago where he gave Ullrich The Look then rode off the front.

hora
    Free Member

2003? Yes but that was domineering the other rider after his fall and him hesitating to wait for Lance to catch back up??

warton
    Free Member

yeah Armstrong makes no secret of the fact he really admires Cavendish. 2 proper stages in and its already turning into a classic, the TTT tomorrow is going to be tense, good chance of Armstrong ending the day in Yellow

warton
    Free Member

2003? Yes but that was domineering the other rider after his fall and him hesitating to wait for Lance to catch back up??

No, Armstrong played sick all day then blew the field away on the alp

linky

ajf
    Free Member

Armstrong interview was interesting after the race. Looks like the politics has started. Glad he is doing well though,

Cavendish and his team do look good! Be interesting to see how they do tomorrow.

Beats all this tennis sh*te! 😀

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

How much time could the ‘big’ teams put into the lesser ones in 39km tomorrow?

Colombia, Garmin, Astana, Saxo Bank, Liquigas, Cervelo maybe not in that order though.

I reckon Menchov and Evans could lose a bit tomorrow.

Alek
    Free Member

Just watched the highlights and that was one fascinating race. Colombia HTC so far have played it spot on. Cav is learning fast and playing the game too 🙂 I hope they nail it tomorrow.

Can’t wait till they hit the mountains……bring it on, 2.5 weeks of this is gonna be summit special.

Lance 3rd……..who had that tenner on him recently 8)

anagallis_arvensis

Armstrong tipped off by Hincapie maybe?

Yeah hadnt thought of that!! Astana have such a strong team the only way I see Contador no winning (crashes loss of form illness etc aside) is if the team splits and yesterday Astana having two riders helping drive the break for Armstrong could be the first hint. Leiphaimer will also want to ride for himself I would imagine… cant wait to see what happens in the Team time trial tonight.;

llama

Interesting in the TV interview with LA last night he mentioned something about ‘2 team leaders’ in Astana.

so is he

(1) talking up his chances to deflect attention so Contador gets a quiet time and then kills everyone come the Alps while LA fades out?

(2) really thinking he has a chance of GC?

(3) making it appear there is a split in the team, lots of battles between LA and Contador, tiring everyone else out, while nobody notices Leiphaimer make a break for it a la schlek brothers and sastre last year?

still a long long long long long way to go

IanMunro
    Free Member

Lance will be in yellow come Paris.
    Any challengers will have ‘accidents’.

corroded
    Free Member

Looking forward to the TTT – this looks like being a classic year. I’m sure Hincapie or Cav tipped off Armstrong yesterday; a break like that must have been planned beforehand. And the guy at HTC who signed up to sponsor Columbia would have been pretty chuffed last night!

hora
    Free Member

Hey, Ive always been a ArmstrongFanboy. I dont think hes going to win though. I still think 3rd overall with say 3stage wins. Hes overbuilt, too muscular/bulky I think come the mountains the extra bulk/weight will show as a neg. Saying that if he won I’d be doing a jig and cover my girlfriend in champagne spray like I did when Hamo won! ..I still fear someone is going to nobble him though towards the end with tainted/food poisoning etc 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

How many Astana riders could be in the top ten after today?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

None hopefully, but thats just because i’d like someone else to win it.

Contador will probably win overall, but it would be nice to see him work for it from a long way back, and i’d be quite happy for Levi, Kloden and Lance to be out of the top ten all race, although the internal politics will be funnier if they’re up there.

andrew
    Free Member

AS it’s a spoiler thread:

Ouch! Try and keep on the road, BB Telecom!

retrorick

Turning out to be a top TT!

Rick.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

crashtastic

BigJohn

They’re tumbling all over the place!

retrorick

I’m watchin on itv4 red button service on sky.
    No adverts or interruptions, good coverage. Just a shame
    you can’t set the pvr to record it on a timer.

Rick.

Stoner
    Free Member

on a client site today so cant watch online.

just have the letour.fr site up watchign the times tick thorugh and the crashes getting reported in theticker.

Sounds painful out there.

retrorick

All the ‘faster’ teams have had the heads up
    on the tricker turns on the course. I wonder if they’ll
    crash too. It may slow them down a little.
    Armstrong looks a bit tired on the turbo!

Rick.

emac65
    Free Member

That looked like one hell of a warm up for LA & Co !

colnagokid

Poor Cadel’s in a right old flap!
    NOBODY touch him, or his dog! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Whats going on!

retrorick

Evans has lost some time.
    Saxo bank just setting off.
    Wiggins is on the road 7mins into stage.

Rick

Stoner
    Free Member
    parkedtiger
    Free Member
    retrorick

Cervelo lost 15secs, good for Castre.
    Cav has just set off.

retrorick

Garmin are dropping their team riders. Riding fast though.

retrorick

LA on start line, taking his stabilisers off for this one!
    Garmin only have 5 riders left with over half the stage to go!
    Time taken on 5th rider

retrorick

Astana are on the start line. Armstrong waves!
    go!

retrorick

Cr*p, got to go to work now.
    No more from me today!

Rick.

BigJohn

Phil Liggett ITV4

http://www.p2pstation.net/

warton
    Free Member

I can see Wiggins in Yellow tonight, the Garmin guys are on fire

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘TdF thread [Spoiler alert]’ is closed to new replies.