• This topic has 50 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • TdF Stage 17 – A Hectic Stage [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

At 125 km, the shortest stage comes just after the longest. To be honest, it will be a hectic 125 kilometres, since it is all up and down from kilometre 50 all the way until the summit finish on Plat d’Adet. Even the leaders will find this a tricky stage. And the riders in the autobus… For them, it will be a stage of trials and tribulations, with a tight elimination time which will force sprinters to spend the entire stage à bloc. Several green jersey contenders could end up having to pack their suitcases after this stage! The final podium will start to take shape. Without a doubt, the highlight of the race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rogers-delivers-tour-de-france-stage-win

Great win for a great rider, done with style. Brilliant move by Pinot as well, fantastic racing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsIEBoVt0I[/video]

That’s awesome.

My heart is being stolen by a very very classy French man..

Photos from stage 16.

Today is tricky, I feel like the win will come from the break, and so perhaps Majka maybe? Otherwise I’d be expecting Pinot, Nibali, maybe Valverde to be up there.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gerrans-pulls-out-of-tour-de-francenice guy, shame to see him go

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-to-miss-vuelta-a-espananot surprised

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-alessandro-petacchis-s-works-tarmacthis is how road bikes should look

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nAsd8RCOJ8[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A good and deserved win yesterday. Looks a bit like the fizz has gone from the GC race though.

llama

Looks a bit like the fizz has gone from the GC race though.

Yep it looks like Nibbali just has to stay on his bike to Paris and it’s his. However, I thought I detected a bit of weariness on him (and team) yesterday.

Rest of the podium is all to play for. Pinot looked good yesterday. I don’t think that the rest of the places will be sorted out until the TT though.

MussEd
    Free Member

Just read on twitter that Reto hollenstein crashed at 1km into yesterday’s 227(or however long) rode in alone and finished. With a collapsed lung. A collapsed lung. Mind: boggled!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

GC is all but done and dusted though I’d expect a fair bit of attacking today,at a push Mibali might loose a bit of time. Possibly another breakaway with some top 5 duelling coming in at the back of it. I’ll go for Pinot being the first placed GC guy and Nieve or J-Rod FTW.

richen987
    Free Member

Thought yesterday was brilliant, Pinot really put it down and was going all out to the line, was great to see Bardot really giving his all to make up the time on the descent to limit losses as well.
    Was some great racing, Rogers was great and as soon as he was off the front he was not going to lose.
    Looking forward to today, be interesting to see if Bardot can do anything to make back time and the other podium places are still pretty contentious with today and tomorrows mountains and a ITT to come it should be great racing.

hatter

Nibbles looks like (barring an unforeseen disaster) he’s got the GC pretty sewn up.

The rest of the podium however… Would love to see Bardet, Peraud and Pinot give Valverde a good kicking and drop him off the podium.

All to play for in a KOM as well.

Been a good tour, the downside has been the number of early crashes that have denied us a proper Cav vs Kittel sprint battle and I’d also would have loved to see some proper Froome vs Contador action in the high mountains.

Am I a bad person in wishing that Nibali has a bad day and has his lead cut right down, just to blow the GC competition wide open again?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

always like Pinot since he showed his flaws last year (poor descender, possibly a manifestation of the pressure he felt to be the Great French Hope) so have been rooting for him all Tour. It looked like Nibali was working hard to try stay with him just before the summit when he realised he’d dropped Bardet, and it was nice to see his team mates burying themselves for him (to the extent of pointing out potholes on the hectic final run through the city centre to the finish). Podium and white jersey please (though I love the FDJ blue kit!).

Interesting situation with AG2R with twin prongs (Bardet, Peraud) who do seem to be riding independently.

The rest of the podium however… Would love to see Bardet, Peraud and Pinot give Valverde a good kicking and drop him off the podium

this x eleventy million.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

oooh i do hope theres some attacks on nibbles today (theres a joke in there somewhere) to spice it up. I think its time Valverde stopped playing second fiddle and got moving, always the bridesmaid.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would love to see Bardet, Peraud and Pinot give Valverde a good kicking and drop him off the podium.

We all would

Nibbles has it in the bag barring accident

He seems peerless at the minute in a very much reduce GQ race.

Pyro

That last climb is pretty much the way the Grand Raid des Pyrenees Ultramarathon descends, it starts and finishes at Vielle-Aure.

Outside bet: Majka to gun up it for another stage win.

DenDennis
    Free Member

my prediction-
    Nibali to lose a surprising amount of time today/tomorrow.

why? he just looked a bit sheepish in the interviews last night. nothing more scientific than that.

😛

DanW
    Free Member

Is Pinot not off to SKY next year? Could completely foil uncle Dave’s plan of giving France their first GC winner in ages if Pinot could overtake Valverde (conceivable) and Nibali were to abandon… If Pinot is off to SKY then he would fit in well with the other talented GC climbers who also have an aversion to descending 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

^ He’s been a long time in yellow and his team are beginning to falter. Movistar looked strong yesterday. Pinot has taken this years man crush trophy, to turn his descending from tears to smoking has really impressed me. Was Nibali faltering or just super calm yesterday? We’ll find out today!

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Pinot looking a class act. His descending looks on the mend too.

Mind you, he doesn’t have the skills of an ex-mountain biker at speeds of up to 100km per hour in this, the month of July*

*copyright Phil Liggett

lemonysam
    Free Member

why? he just looked a bit sheepish in the interviews last night. nothing more scientific than that.

Sheepish Nibbles earlier:

hels
    Free Member

I would like to see more from Valverde – there will be a lot of Spanish fans out today, although he is from Murcia not the north, he will be getting a lot of encouragement !

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t see how Nibali can lose a lot of time, he looks strong enough individually just to hang with any GC contenders and follow a break containing any – am I wrong ?

It does seem to me he has it won barring a crash, I like the way he’s put time into people on that epic cobbled stage and in the mountains, seems quite a complete performance.

llama

jens is in a break

lemonysam
    Free Member

I can’t see the winner coming from those in the break unless the peleton completely gives it up again though.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d be happy to see Valverde drop off the podium; one less unrepentant cheat we have to look at. Two French riders on the podium in Paris would be fantastic

jfletch
    Free Member

Having someone decent targeting the KOM is really spicing up the race.

Or maybe Rodriquez’s inability to make the break is spicing up the race. If he’d made it today the competition would be as irelevant as always.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Kiryienka giving it some beans again today, what a machine. Be good for Sky to have something to show for this tour.

lemonysam
    Free Member

…and has something happened to Kwiatkowski or is he just struggling?

speckledbob
    Free Member

As much as I want Nibali to win i’d like him to have a least one bad day. Pinot and Bardet have spiced things up now and Valverde has been boring as hell and is still in second. Like others have said i’d happily see him off the podium.

lemonysam
    Free Member

This is a pretty crumby story if it turns out to be true:

Europcar boss accuses Michael Albasini of racism
    Orica-GreenEdge’s Swiss rider reportedly called Europcar’s Kévin Réza a “dirty negro”

http://road.cc/content/news/124595-europcar-boss-accuses-michael-albasini-racism

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would imagine alarm bells starting to go off at FDJ and AG2R with Mollema in the break. He’s handy at a TT.

atlaz
    Free Member

Quite puzzled by the Eurosport commentary. How was the FdJ team (or lottery) created because of WW1? Are they just saying random things on the off-chance that nobody notices?

mrblobby
    Free Member

How was the FdJ team (or lottery) created because of WW1?

At a guess, French government needed revenue?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It was reintroduced in 1933 I think, so a good few years after WW1. Were the French not one of the first countries in the world to have a lottery way back in the 1500’s?

richen987
    Free Member

cracking battle between Pinot and Bardet, should make the final climb interesting to see if one or other can put some time in!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Valverde going backwards, AG2R working Nibali as hard as they can…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Now nibali working AG2R as hard as he can…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Great work from Majka to pull back Visconti

lemonysam
    Free Member

And off he goes, 2km to go!

Pyro

Jesus Christ I might be right for once…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dammit, how did Valverde get ahead of the Pinot group?!

RealMan
    Free Member

I feel like the win will come from the break, and so perhaps Majka maybe?

Ahem.

He’s like a low fat version of Sagan. Brilliant riding.

mt
    Free Member

Funny that, RealMan.

Something feels dodgy about that stage win.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What did happen to Kwiatkowski? Can’t see him in the top 30. Can’t have lost more than an hour surely. Did he abandon?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 17 – A Hectic Stage [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.