Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Taxpayers pick up £68m bill for thousands of union reps
  • MSP

Sure, they’d love a better wage etc. They have an option – get a better job…

In case you hadn’t noticed there are far more unemployed than their are employment opportunities, moving up the career ladder isn’t as easy as you seam to believe for many people.

zokes
    Free Member

In case you hadn’t noticed there are far more unemployed than their are employment opportunities, moving up the career ladder isn’t as easy as you seam to believe for many people.

So just what pay above a minimum living wage should someone receive when their sole responsibility in work is to ensure that baked beans are on the shelves? (And yes, I did this part time for three years)…

The fact is that conditions in Tesco are a lot better both directly and indirectly because of union actions internally, and from legislation (such as the NMW) that comes from union pressure elsewhere.

I don’t doubt that everyone at Tesco wants to be paid more, have longer holidays etc. But, in a job requiring you to turn up on time and stack selves, I’m not sure what level of pay is commensurate with that responsibility above the NMW, and when I worked at ASDA, my wage as a shelf stacker was 50% higher than the NMW.

ransos
    Free Member

My employer was proposing to make 25% of the staff in a department redundant. Our shop steward used his paid facility time to negotiate a reduction in hours for all staff, so that no-one lost their job. This saved the employer a fortune in redundancy payouts.

Oddly, benefits to the employer such as this example don’t figure in the Torygraph’s calculations. Now why would that be?

MSP

So just what pay above a minimum living wage should someone receive when their sole responsibility in work is to ensure that baked beans are on the shelves?

There in lies the problem, competition has been so heralded in the employment market that its become not about fulfilling personal potential, but just beating someone to look down on. Everyone loses but most are just gullible enough to fall for it because someone else is doing worse.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

MSP, even as a bleeding heart liberal I have to side with zokes on this one. It is one thing to rail against the totally unjustified riches paid to some of our captains of industry (and bankers) – which I do – but quite another to berate the likes of Tesco over the pay and conditions they offer. Tesco isn’t a sweat shop, it’s an employer that offers a load of low skilled and/or part time workers a REASONABLE job. And like zokes said, for the ambitious (even slightly ambitious) or talented, a job at Tesco is not a bad place to start looking for a better job from.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So just what pay above a minimum living wage should someone receive when their sole responsibility in work is to ensure that baked beans are on the shelves? (And yes, I did this part time for three years)…

Whilst I understand the economic argument of supply and demand I have never really understood morally why if I work 40 hours and you do that I should get £240 per week and you £1000. IME MW jobs have tended to be harder work and mor eboring than professional jobs – i would wanrt more for doing that tbh – how many on here skiving work whilst the checkout operator works much harder?.
    The other side of this coin is if that if you are paid the minimum wage , even as a single adult never mind if you have kids, taxpayers money is used to top up the wages to a living wage. I am not comfortable subsidising multinationals, [ Mc Donalds for example] who pay non living wages, with tax payers subsidies. This just helps them keep wages low and ensure they keep their multi billion pound profits.

Loads of union bashing going on here as if they are the cause of the current malaise
    Right wing agenda setting 3BS

zokes
    Free Member

MSP – it’s not about looking down on people, it’s about realising how the society in which we live in works. If I could get as much pay as I do now for a job that only takes 8 hours of my day, requires little responsibility whilst I’m there and zero when I’m not; and didn’t require the best part of 10 years at uni as a prerequisite, I’d probably wonder why I bothered with all those qualifications and long hours. That’s not to say I’d prefer to still be a bean stacker over my current career, but as I spend on average 12 hours a day at work, and another 2-3 dealing with emails at home, I do tend to wonder sometimes…

Ultimately, my point was that workers at Tesco/ASDA/whereever actually have decent conditions. If Tesco et al should be doing anything philanthropic, it should be towards their producers. If everyone worked 30 hour weeks on 40K a year, I think just about everything would be unaffordable.

The reason they have those decent conditions? Well, that would be the unions…

EDIT: @JY

Whilst I understand the economic argument of supply and demand I have never really understood morally why if I work 40 hours and you do that I should get £240 per week and you £1000.

This is a trouble. However, let me turn it on its head. Why should I work almost double the number of hours, deal with much more responsibility, and have attended full-time education for nearly 10 years longer than someone earning the same as me who has to turn up, stack shelves, and go home. Sure, those 8 hours may not be great fun, but that leaves you the other 16 to do as you like…

As for government top-ups. This too is an issue, but unless you have a bright idea, I can’t see a logical answer that would actually work. As has been pointed out – increases in wages = increases in prices. I’m not sure what legal right any government would have to dictate that the profit margins should take a cut, regardless of the moral imperative.

MSP

but as I spend on average 12 hours a day at work, and another 2-3 dealing with emails at home, I do tend to wonder sometimes…

That just proves my point, your getting crapped on, but instead of standing up for decent working conditions, you want to see others crapped on with low wages instead.

ransos
    Free Member

As has been pointed out – increases in wages = increases in prices. I’m not sure what legal right any government would have to dictate that the profit margins should take a cut, regardless of the moral imperative.

These arguments were advanced by opponents of the minimum wage. Guess what? It didn’t happen. A moderate increase in wages has chuff all effect on prices or profitability.

zokes
    Free Member

That just proves my point, your getting crapped on, but instead of standing up for decent working conditions, you want to see others crapped on with low wages instead.

Not in the slightest, in actual fact, where I work does seem to frown on it slightly. However, as a mad scientist / academic, I have to compete internationally, especially at a relatively early stage in my career.

Secondly I’m not getting crapped on because I made a choice that I wanted to go to 6th form, uni and do a PhD in the hope that I would get greater flexibility and pay. I’m on a very good salary, and if I want friday off, I can take it without any questions asked. So whilst it’s hard work, it’s rewarding both financially and intellectually, and about as flexible as a job could be short of being self-employed.

Ironically, we actually had quite a protracted dispute over pay and conditions not long ago here, which I was fully involved in….

zokes
    Free Member

These arguments were advanced by opponents of the minimum wage. Guess what? It didn’t happen. A moderate increase in wages has chuff all effect on prices or profitability.

Go on then, I’ll bite. What do you suggest is a fair per-hour wage for someone who has no qualifications, pretty much zero work related responsibilities, and reasonable hours?

MSP

Secondly I’m not getting crapped on because I made a choice that I wanted to go to 6th form, uni and do a PhD in the hope that I would get greater flexibility and pay. I’m on a very good salary, and if I want friday off, I can take it without any questions asked. So whilst it’s hard work, it’s rewarding both financially and intellectually, and about as flexible as a job could be short of being self-employed.

I will bite too, time too make your mind up, do you have good rewarding flexible conditions, or work so hard that you don’t have time for life? You have now given the impression that both apply.

zokes
    Free Member

do you have good rewarding flexible conditions, or work so hard that you don’t have time for life?

That depends upon whether I’ve had a good day or a bad day at the office 😉

It is, however, a job that can never be 9-5 – I can’t think of a remotely successful scientist who doesn’t work similar hours to my own. The key is to keep the weekends, which for now at least, I manage.

Given the amount of training I’ve had to do (on considerably less than what a Tesco employee earns – hence the part-time job) to get the position I now have, I would expect to be paid appropriately. In a communist utopia where everyone is equal, I cannot see how a society that needs both highly skilled and unskilled labour can achieve this without the skilled people being paid more than the unskilled people.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

zokes

it’s about realising how the society in which we live in works.

… and knuckling under, and doing as you are told, and not rocking the boat, and doffing your cap…. etc etc.

I don’t think so.

I was with you there for a minute, but don’t go too far.

I think Tesco is just about on the right side of OK when it comes to their workers, but I wouldn’t want to do it!

OTOH, don’t you start complaining about your 15 hour days as if you are hard done by – like you said yourself about the Tesco workers “[you] have an option – get a better job…”

And don’t get me started on whether this was some kind of hardship:

have attended full-time education for nearly 10 years

Junkyard
    Free Member

at our expense no doubt – imagine the disadvantage of being bright – has it been hard for you? do you need to talk about it 😉
    Why should I work almost double the number of hours, deal with much more responsibility, and have attended full-time education for nearly 10 years longer than someone earning the same as me who has to turn up, stack shelves, and go home. Sure, those 8 hours may not be great fun, but that leaves you the other 16 to do as you like

Not so much turned it on his head as have re written [ more hours for example] it as something different- I accept your broader point and yes what I suggest is not perfect. If top wages were a factor of what the lowest get paid then maybee it would make those at the top actually care

I’m not sure what legal right any government would have to dictate that the profit margins should take a cut, regardless of the moral imperative.

Soverign states make laws i dont think this violates a human right so I am not sure what your pooint is tbh.

We can do what we like if we had the will and I find it be more of an imperative than subsidising Mc Donalds so they very rich can make even more money – we are not so much giving money to the poor via wage tops up but giving money to the wealthy be reducing their costs and maximising their profits.

zokes
    Free Member

rprt:

I agree about Tesco being OK, and only OK. But, whether you agree with it or not, we need someone to be stacking those shelves, to be manning the checkouts etc. These are however jobs that have little responsibility and require little in the way of skill, subsequently staff fulfilling these roles get paid less. What’s a fairer way to do this?

Likewise on the ‘almost agreeing for a minute there…’ front. Lots of people go to uni for a piss up. I was not one of those, and paid (or borrowed – thank you SLC) for all of it at undergraduate level. For my PhD I was paid a stipend of less than 12k, and although I could have ‘just cruised’ this working normal hours, I chose to knuckle down, write papers, and subsequently have the very rare privilege of having a permanent (in the sense of not being on a term contract) research position.

I’m sure the world’s smallest violin is playing for me at this point, so I’ll desist further. But, don’t go believing the right wing press over how hard or not all students work. In my career at least, a PhD is the equivalent of legal or accountancy exams, with the same “end-of-career” price for failure.

EDIT for JY:

at our expense no doubt

Of course, then I buggered off with my skills to Oz 😉

Actually, PhD was through the EU. But yes, as an undergrad there will have been some government money involved, but by getting said part time job, I did a reasonable level of supporting myself. I guess it’s where you draw the line on how educated people should be allowed to become at the public purse’s expense. There is one school of thought that the less intellectually minded should just jack it in at 14 and get an apprenticeship – remember those?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zokes – Member

As for government top-ups. This too is an issue, but unless you have a bright idea, I can’t see a logical answer that would actually work. As has been pointed out – increases in wages = increases in prices. I’m not sure what legal right any government would have to dictate that the profit margins should take a cut, regardless of the moral imperative.

The money has to come from somewhere. Tax credits are a subsidy from the taxpayer to the employer. If the employer paid a living wage then the taxpayer would not have to subsidise allowing for a tax cut or that money to be spent elsewhere

MSP

These are however jobs that have little responsibility and require little in the way of skill, subsequently staff fulfilling these roles get paid less. What’s a fairer way to do this?

Well as I see it, if the retail industry could not fill roles because the pay was too low and alternative employment was available for employees to move to, the impact on everybody’s lives would be felt pretty soon.
    What impact would not filling your job role have on our lives?

Junkyard
    Free Member

These are however jobs that have little responsibility and require little in the way of skill, subsequently staff fulfilling these roles get paid less. What’s a fairer way to do this?

fair /higher living wage meaning taxpayers done subsidiese business?
    Lower profits and higher wages?
    Top wages a factor of lowest wages?
    Better conditions for “responsible jobs” – more holidays, nicer uniform ??

we can do something other than go ah tough shit your thick and you have no other choices unlike me as I could work hard and look what i have achieved * – no matter how hard they work they cant achieve what you did – unless of course you work in the arts 😉
    We still need our bins emptied and our shelves full etc

* I am a parodying what you say for effect no offence meant

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I took out a career development loan to go back and do an MA in my mid 20s.

My wife is a deputy head and probably works a 65 hour week.

Why would you imagine that I wouldn’t have some experience relevant to your situation before I passed comment?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Lower profits and higher wages?

nail, head, hit, the, you’ve, on, the – (rearrange to form a well known phrase)

zokes
    Free Member

What impact would not filling your job role have on our lives?

Seeing as my main research is food security in a changing climate, probably quite a bit more than you were imagining when you wrote that throw away remark 😉

Top wages a factor of lowest wages?

This, I think, is probably the fairest way of all. (And also one that had eluded my memory until you raised it!)

rprt:

Why would you imagine that I wouldn’t have some experience relevant to your situation before I passed comment?

I don’t think I said this, but you implied it yourself with this statement:

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Ah, you misunderstood me – (but don’t worry, it happens all the time).

Actually my point (if I’d bothered to spell it out) was that following a vocation through academia is an end and a pleasure in itself, not something that is usually forced on anyone, through circumstances or otherwise.

MSP

Seeing as my main research is food security in a changing climate, probably quite a bit more than you were imagining when you wrote that throw away remark

Not at all, future food security doesn’t matter when I can’t buy food today. I work for the European space agency, the research done here may provide many answers to future problems that are building now, but you could remove the agency today and the impact would never be known.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

MSP,

… so you’re a climate change denier then?

(actually, don’t answer that – it was a joke)

jonba
    Free Member

The money has to come from somewhere. Tax credits are a subsidy from the taxpayer to the employer. If the employer paid a living wage then the taxpayer would not have to subsidise allowing for a tax cut or that money to be spent elsewhere

But if the employer may find it too expensive to pay a living wage so employ less people or move (not really possible in retail) somewhere cheaper which in the long term is going to cost more. If the minimum wage was less then maybe (over time) the number of people employed would go up, we’d be able to compete with countries where the cost of living was less. Many people working and having their wage topped up could be better than a couple of people working and then a lot just on benefits and not working at all and not just in financial terms.

This is probably a different debate/troll 😉 though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Actually, PhD was through the EU. But yes, as an undergrad there will have been some government money involved, but by getting said part time job, I did a reasonable level of supporting myself.

If you did your PhD at a UK university it looks like it was heavily subsidised by the UK (and European) tax payer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jonba – employer makes less profit and pays less tax – but the government no longer needs to subsidise the employees so needs less tax

Minimum wage had no effect at all on jobs despite the dire warnings from the CBI

Good employers welcome it – as they can no longer be undercut by people paying less

zokes
    Free Member

If you did your PhD at a UK university it looks like it was heavily subsidised by the UK (and European) tax payer.

Yet there were no jobs in said country to use the skills it paid me to gain. Curiously however, given that research is international, work that I and my colleagues carry out here in Oz benefits the UK government for free. 😀

Still doesn’t solve MSP’s issue of who’s going to stack the baked beans though….

ransos
    Free Member

Go on then, I’ll bite. What do you suggest is a fair per-hour wage for someone who has no qualifications, pretty much zero work related responsibilities, and reasonable hours?

Irrelevant to the point being discussed. I am refuting the contention that a moderate increase in wages has a significant effect on prices or profitability.

MSP

Still doesn’t solve MSP’s issue of who’s going to stack the baked beans though….

That’s easy…. philosophy graduates!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

jonba,

this would be the perfect time to apply Occam’s razor.

zokes
    Free Member

Irrelevant to the point being discussed. I am refuting the contention that a moderate increase in wages has a significant effect on prices or profitability.

So, what would that moderate increase be? 5%, 10%, 50%? Surely you must have a figure. In fact, far from being irrelevant, it appears to be the very crux of your economic argument…

That’s easy…. philosophy graduates!

Touche! Although I would hope that a better use of the qualification that was evidently such a huge burden on the tax payer would be in researching how to grow more food for less, not stack less food for more…. 😆

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

So, what would that moderate increase be? 5%, 10%, 50%?

Well, if this is to be believed, about 70%.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, if this is to be believed, about 70%.

Yikes – that sort of spells it out! But, to temper it slightly (and to play devil’s advocate), how does that tie in to the cost of living and therefore disposable income? I’m guessing nowhere near bridging the effective gap though…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The point of those graphs is that they show how the wealth created has been, and is being, distributed.

Had things been done more “fairly” then the lines might have all moved up together.

The simplest way to redress the balance would be through massive redistribution, as the less wealthy are NEVER going to be able to be proportionately brought up in line with the most wealthy. To some extent we are in a zero sum game as we have reached the limit of many natural resources. What these figures show is that since the 1980s the benefits of increased productivity have almost entirely accrued to the already wealthy.

TooTall
    Free Member

you dont get out much then do you if you have never met one under 50 I have barely met any over 50 tbh.

I get out a lot thank you. However, given the 10,000 people based on this (fairly well unionised) site, I have yet to engage with a younger union rep. I don’t have a say in who the reps are.

Ernie – I come from a family that hasn’t been represented by unions for at least 3 generations on both sides I can find (not available to me or my father). I fully support the collective representation of anyone – what I object to is a confrontational approach and taking stances on issues that they cannot hope to influence. Oh – and people stopping lockers for cyclists!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

I don’t have a say in who the reps are.

Oh yes you do – elections at the AGM usually or a similar democratic means

Whats the story about the lockers?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes before this they at least pretended they shared it out and talked about trickle down capitalism

Many people working and having their wage topped up could be better than a couple of people working and then a lot just on benefits and not working at all and not just in financial terms.

do you mean to suggest it was daft of the tories to close down coals mine, the steel industry and cripple manufacturing generally ..personally I blame Thatcher…well we were trolling weren’t we

TooTall
    Free Member

Oh yes you do – elections at the AGM usually or a similar democratic means

As I said – union representation not available to me or my father or either of my grandfathers because of jobs undertaken.

Union rep objecting to lockers in office areas (rather than in other areas) because of H&S issues to his union members. This came from a few mingers not sorting their sports kit out in lockers and being smelly types. The solution is to deal with the mingers (minority) rather than remove all office-based lockers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Taxpayers pick up £68m bill for thousands of union reps’ is closed to new replies.