Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Taxman Q
  • matt_outandabout

So I have had somewhat complex tax situation over the last 3 years – self employed, company director, partnership and multiple employers. BUT, HMRC have been ‘sat’ on my 08-09 tax return for over 18 months, and still have not finalised my 07-08 return.
    They just sent me a firm demand for £1.20 for 09-10, payable in by 31st Jan.
    I think from 07-08 they owe me £000’s
    I have been patient and patient, but short of exploding on the phone, how the heck can I get them to move along faster?

crispybacon
    Free Member

You can ring the helpline but I think a quicker way, if you are not happy with the service from HMRC, is to complain especially if they owe you money.

Incidentally if you have submitted tax returns then they should be processed as they are & any refunds made or tax demands issued.

Bear
    Free Member

do not write to them, they have mountains of unopened post. If you have been contacting them by post then chances are you are lost in that mountain

matt_outandabout

Cheers. I think it will be a weekly phone for a month, then every day then complain… 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

get an accountant. they will know exactly what you are owed once they have seen copies of your returns.
    surprised you don’t have one already? they will have saved you money and you possibly wouldn’t be in this situation if you had one?

matt_outandabout

Had one when running a business, experience says that when self employed they take as much money in pay (or more) than they save.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I use DIY accounting software from, you guessed it DIY Accounting. Google it.

Its simple Excel based stuff but it’s always done a good job for me for the last few years and a very simple business as self employed individual and an full time employment also.

Of course you need to fill in the details like expenses, sales, mileage, orders, waqes etc but it will spit out a tax return for you.

I just claimed back £980 from the Tax Man this morning.

Software only cost me £15!

Excellent result IMO.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Should have got a good accountant and you wouldn’t be in this situation now. I’m an accountant and our charge for tax returns is normally around £130 regardless of how many £000’s we get the client refunded.
    As Bear has pointed out they have a mountain of unopened post and the telephone service isn’t that much better. Start a complaint but if they are waiting on evidence to back up your refund then the ball is back in your court.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Taxman Q’ is closed to new replies.