Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tax In Norway
  • turin
    Free Member

I am applying for a PhD position in Norway and for some obscure reason they look to be offering to pay around 400,000NoK it is around £40k. Which seem far too good to be true so it probalbly has some catch.

Im sure I have read that there were a couple of the STW in Norway who may be able to give me some idea of how that relates to real world living over there and how much of that I would be likely to loose in Tax. Pretty sure the tax is higher there than here but the standard of living looks better. Since I graduated in 2005 and still on the great job hunt it would also be a good time to make a move like this and I have always had a desire to live in Scandinavia.

cheers

ourmaninthenorth

You need to find out what taxation requirements there are in Norway for docotral students (esp overseas ones). In the UK, you wouldn't pay tax on your grant, hence the fact they're so low (and that UK universities are about to get stiffed on the funding front by Peter "Prince of Darkness" Mandelson).

Pigface
    Free Member

As Norway is one of the most expensive countries on the planet it seems about average. Dont forget not an EU member so health care etc will need to be paid for.

It is also an amazing country so good luck.

DrJ

+1 for finding out about the tax. It will make a huge difference, how you are treated, and it is not obvious which way they will go.

As OMITN said, in UK you don't pay tax, but in (eg) France you do, even if the grant is (eg) an EC grant for the same gross amount in both countries (so EC postdocs live like lords in UK, and UK postdocs live like paupers in France).

turin
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, I dont suppose that you would know where the bast place to find that info out would be or would the easiest way be to contact the Unversity.

I have been to Norway a few times and know its particuarly expensive when compared to the UK but Im not really driven by the cash itself, just as long as I dont have to eat Herring every meal of every day 😀

agent_f

[/url]

Try looking around on the above link or contact the authorities directly – everyone speaks good english and should be helpful.

DrJ

just as long as I dont have to eat Herring every meal of every day

I did a couple of project in Norway when I was a PhD student, and the second time I took a suitcase of Bean-Feasts with me. That was for a few weeks. After a few years it would get kind of old. Norway is the only country that can compete with Holland for bad food.

mossimus
    Free Member

I would not like to live in Norway on £40K. Admittedly only been once (Oslo) the cost of food/drink was bloody frightening.

IA

Norway is crazy expensive. Everything there costs at least twice as much. Even in supermarkets etc., everything. Was in Oslo recently (more expensive than most to be fair), two large takeaway pizzas? £50. etc. etc.

So 40k is probably about the same as 20k here, and 18k odd is not uncommon here nowadays for a stipend. I'm not taxed on my stipend here, if you are in norway, then that 40k might even make you less well off overall.

Lovely place mind.

drumon

40K isnt an awful lot in Norway.
    I earnt a bit less than that when I worked there for 4 years and paid 36% tax (which is a very normal tax rate there). You will pay a bit more. Your first 6 months of work are charged only 15% tax though, think that is still the case. Dunno about yuour PhD situation though, the institution will have that info for you.

Standard of living is high, but so is the cost of EVERYTHING so dont kid yourself, you wont be buying up luxury goods!

I found I learnt to spend less whimsically but bought what I needed and spent wisely on great quality stuff, especially cycling and skiing gear. You have to eat though so make it good food.

People have lots of nice stuff there cos they dont just mortgage houses, they have hefty loans for big cars and goodness what else you care to mention. money does go around there, but it doesnt come back at you!

Beautiful country and I'd recommend anyone to take a chance such as yours to live there. Nice folk, if conservative and over democratic, but they love a good old time.

GO FOR IT!

anagallis_arvensis

whats the PhD on? Contact the supervisor if they are keen they will point you in the direction of help. Just make sure you act really enthusiastic and just say you want to do the PhD but need to be clear about the cost.

darrell
    Free Member

i live in Norway. if you want any info email me.

darrell

fwb2006
    Free Member

Lived in Stavanger/Bergen for a while. Its a 50% flat rate if I remember correctly you do however pay no tax in December, woohoo, not. Don't know if its different for students… The 'dole' is supposed to be very good though, ~60% of your previous jobs salary.

br
    Free Member

You need to look at the whole income vs expenditure and not focus on any specific bit of it; e.g. the net may be low, but so could the rent (or you may get a 'special' deal).

Yes, eating out and alcohol are expensive, but nurseries are free (if you've kids) and a non-working spouse helps.

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

Hi Turin

Having lived in Norway back in the late 90's, I can vouch for what a beautiful country it is. If you make the tax situation work, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend the experience of living overseas, especially somewhere like Scandinavia.

Yes, the cost of living is higher, and wine / spirits are prohibitively expensive, but housing costs can be comparatively cheap, however that does depend on whereabouts in the country you'll be based (cf the difference in housing costs between London and Sheffield).

Good luck, whichever way you decide!

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

Another slightly obvious suggestion would be to ask the University to put you in touch with other foreign students and quiz them about their experiences with respect to tax and cost of living?

turin
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, I did contact the supervisor and this was his response:

I really do not know.

What I do know is that the overall economic conditions here for research
    fellows, taking into account the cost of living, are among the best in the
    world

Ive applied and If offered Ill worry about it some more.

Daryl, Thanks for the offer Ill email you today

turin
    Free Member

Daryl, Im a muppet and cant see your email in your profile.

mines is

saintrowdATyah00DOTcom

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tax In Norway’ is closed to new replies.