Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tax doesn't have to be taxing… getting out of tax returns.
  • bananaworld
    Free Member

A few years ago I was self-employed and did my tax returns diligently. The trouble is, I haven’t been self-employed for several years now and yet am stil asked to fill in tax returns. My only income is through legitimate waged part-time work and tax is paided through PAYE.

So why do I have to fill in tax returns? Is there any way of getting them to stop?

STW has always been a wealth of knowledge on this sort of topic, so thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Shakey
    Free Member

I think you can call the tax office and give them this information and they will let you know that you can stop filing returns.

If I am wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me!

Phototim
    Free Member

I could be wrong but I thought that once you had declared yourself NOT self employed, you would then need to fill out a tax return for the next 5 years “only”.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Ring the HMRC SA Helpline on 0845 900 0444 (8am to 8pm) explain that you only have PAYE income now as you have ceased self employment & don’t need to fill in a Income Tax Self Assessment form. Hopefully they will stop sending you a tax return in future.

HTH

bananaworld
    Free Member

Thanks for your answers, guys.

Hats off to crispy bacon who, after immediately realising that I’m lazy and incompetent, even supplied a phone number!

gonefishin
    Free Member

…unless of course you are in the 40% tax bracket in which case you should still complete a form to make sure that receive all the additional tax rebates that you are entitled to, like the additional tax on any pensions as well as any charity donations.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I started doing them a few years ago as was in the 40% bracket then they told me I could stop doing them – you can still claim back tax by writing a letter which I did for mileage. I’ve had to start doing them again and reckon it’s OK as not much of a chore to do online.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Tee hee hee, the complications of the 40% tax bracket are not ones that I ever imagine myself having to worry about!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tax doesn't have to be taxing… getting out of tax returns.’ is closed to new replies.