Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tax disc
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Not an important question in the grand scheme of things, but my road tax is due to expire at the end of the month, and I have the new disc. Is it OK to stick the new disc in the window before the old one has expired?

dh
    Free Member

Yes . Expiry date is the real deal innit

jon1973
    Free Member

yeah, but a tax disc has a start date innit? I spose they wouldn’t really care as they would easily know if the car was taxed anyway, by doing a quick check. Just wondered what the rules were.

john_drummer
    Free Member

just show em both, then everybody will know you’re a lazy git 😉

birky
    Free Member

Pinched from another forum

A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200.

jon1973
    Free Member

😆 I usually just stick the new disc in front of the old one, so I have them going back about 5 years. Maybe I should just display them all side by side. Although that would involve buying some new tax disc holders.

Edit…I’m not ashamed of being a lazy git. It’s what defines me as a person.

jon1973
    Free Member

A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200.

Does this mean I have to switch them over at midnight on the 28th of Feb? Or I could face a £200 fine? the tax was only £120. 😕

samuri
    Free Member

You’re only going to get your tax disc checked if you break another law.

After that the only time your *tax* will be checked is if the police set up a camera to do so. Quite frankly the police don’t give a toss what is on your windscreen, what is in the computer is what matters.

What is on your windscreen suggests to them what type of person you are and what they can nick you for.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

You’re only going to get your tax disc checked if you break another law.

After that the only time your *tax* will be checked is if the police set up a camera to do so. Quite frankly the police don’t give a toss what is on your windscreen, what is in the computer is what matters.

What is on your windscreen suggests to them what type of person you are and what they can nick you for.

I thought you could get fined for not displaying a valid tax disc!?

aracer
    Free Member

I never seem to have this problem, due to not having the new one to display until the old one has already expired 😳
    (in my defence, it isn’t illegal to drive in such circumstances)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tax disc’ is closed to new replies.