Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tarting up an old carbon frame
  • fasthaggis

I have an old Giant TCR-1 frame that has a lot of travel scars,although it’s never been crashed or dropped ,it does have some big cable rub marks and a few scuffs on the main tubes from bike bag trips.
    It has been removed from best bike status by another,but I don’t want to get rid of it just yet ,as it fits me really well and might be handy to have as a spare.
    So I was wondering if it would be easy to smarten it up by wrapping some carbon sheet vinyl(3M stuff ?)over the worst parts.
    Has anyone done this on a bike frame ?
    Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Realistically are you ever going to use a spare frame?

Anyway T cut and/or rattle can laquer will go a long way to rejuvenating its looks.

amedias
    Free Member

let it wear them with honour and pride!

every mark tells a story…

unless you fancy a change in which case do it properly and get it painted/refinished.

fasthaggis

I built it back up for one of my sons and it still feels good to ride.
    I was going to tart it up if he takes to it ( and I could use it when he goes back to Uni),then I half thought of just using it as a winter bike with bodged guards.

I had thought that the vinyl wrap may have been a quick/cheap way of smartening it up,I will try T-cut on the cable rub bits for now.
    Cheers

andyl
    Free Member

is it raw carbon? Rub back any tatty areas with very fine wet and dry and water as lubricant, degrease the whole frame (IPA) and then spray with some polyurethane lacquer or even a non-yellowing water based PU floor lacquer if you have any spray equipment (thin the lacquer for spraying).

fasthaggis

That’s very smart Stoner,I wonder how tough it sets.

andyl
    It’s raw then lacquered, but one of the big scuff/scratches has taken out a big part of the Giant logo on the down tube.With all the car wrapping going on now ,I just wondered if anyone had tried wrapping frame tubes as a quick fix.

andyl
    Free Member

tbh I would think spraying it with some lacquer would be quicker and look better.

You could replace the sticker and then spray over it or touch up with some airfix paint first.

plus-one

Yes you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve with sanding whole frame lightly with 2000 grit wet and dry/re lacquer/(get expensive stuff) 2000 grit again then t-cut and polish whole frame …

pictonroad

you tried car wrapping?

Its bloody difficult, like really, properly fiddly. SOD doing that on a bike frame, unless you have the patience of a monk you’ll have binned the whole miserable lot within 20 minutes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tarting up an old carbon frame’ is closed to new replies.