Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Tarmac or Roubaix? so confused!!
  • jacob46
    Free Member

hi
    i said in my last topic that ide ordered my first ever road bike, a tamrac sport £1400 was £1600.

after talking to too many people im now confused and the nice people at my local shop said dont worry if you change your mind it dont matter we will still sell the bike if you change your mind for another one. and i have but not sure and dont want to make a mistake.

i mainly want a nice road bike for commuting to work (8.5mile each way)
    secondly if i want an hour or 2 blast of a sunday morning.

speaking to people at work today has really got me thinking. one guy is getting a Bianchi sportive bike for £1850 goes out for 4 or 5 hours and reckons i should get a roubaix for comfort factor and tells me tarmac will be too uncomfortable for me. i cant really see myself doing 50 mile runs so i think it will be fine. plus i love the deal they have on the tarmac sport for £1400. plus the frame and forks is top quality and running gear dont bother me because its easily replaced or upgraded.

if i was to get a roubaix it would be the sport compact £1600. cant afford anymore than that. i love specialized for the customer support
    and guarantee on frame. plus i live 5 mile from local concept store.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Road bikes seem to have evolved into two categories, race and endurance. In reality, it’smore marketing than real world ddifference. A change of tyres will give more difference to the feel of a tarmac vs a roubaix than anything else.

If you really want a deciding factor try touching your toes. If you can, get the tarmac, if you can’t, get the roubaix.

jacob46
    Free Member

Onzadog thanks, will try now 😆

jacob46
    Free Member

nearly Palms on floor 😛

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then you’ll be fine on a tarmac.

jacob46
    Free Member

Nice one pal

globalti
    Free Member

There really isn’t much difference between them, with the stem spacers and the flip stem AND the Specialized wedge shim, you can achieve the same riding position on both. The ride is very similar with Tarmac and Roubaix SL4, both are fantastically stiff but comfortable, the only major difference is the geometry of the tarmac, which is a little sharper handling. Roubaix SL4 Sport comes in tasty matt charcoal with red trim, I bought that one and transferred all the Ultegra kit over from my previous bike.

Joe

I’ve just taken delivery of a new Roubaix SL2 and can’t say i’m that enamored with it. It is comfortable, just feels slightly like riding an old nag. If I had the money again i’d go tarmac.

jacob46
    Free Member

Going to Lbs this morning to sit on robaix. Thanks for that.
    I’m only commuting 8.5 mile but colleges at work reckon I’ll be uncomfortable on tarmac! Nah dout it.

globalti
    Free Member

Over 8 miles you won’t be uncomfortable. The position is actually quite upright compared with old, racier steel bikes like Pinarellos. It will however be very nickable; I hope you’ve got a secure place to store it?

I test-rode a Roubaix SL2 for a weekend and thought it handled OK but the ride was dull and lifeless. The SL4 is a very different beast, much more zesty and lively. You really feel the road but never feel beaten up.

(Got my eye on a Tarmac SL4 S Works frame in my size for £700 at an LBS….. trouble is, it’s pink! Do I or don’t I?)

jacob46
    Free Member

Go for it! You’ll get your money back On eBay if you get fed up of it.
    Just been looking at this but reading comments of how the sl4 has improved I think I’ll leave it alone.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181414425625&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web

justatheory
    Free Member

I will soon be taking delivery of a brand spanking new warranty replacement Roubaix SL4 frame in 58cm that I’m intending to sell

jacob46
    Free Member

It will however be very nickable; I hope you’ve got a secure place to store it?

Oxford motorbike lock and chain rapped around the bike shed post. It’ll have to do.

jacob46
    Free Member

61cm for me mate but thanks anyway.

oldgit
    Free Member

Leaning towards a more upright/sportive style bike myself which seems to follow the current trend.
    Think of the bike in two halves. The back, things like saddle height and setback effect the peddling. But if you don’t have good core strength like a pro then a slightly higher front will give comfort. See if you can sit on the bike in the shop….stop peddling….relax your hands….move hands slowly away from the bars…if you fall flat on your face your too low and wasting energy just holding your body up.
    Hence sportive type frames, not a gimmick just a bike with effective peddling and a comfortable front.
    Don’t buy just because it’s cheaper, fit is better than cheap.
    Don’t slam unless slammed is where it should be.

amplebrew

I’ve just picked up an SL4 Roubaix on Friday, so only got just over 100 miles on it; but first impressions are really good.

I only went for the Roubaix purely because I prefer a higher front end, so wanted the extra 25mm on the head tube over the Tarmac.

I wanted a bike that I could put 5+ hour rides in, so thought the Roubaix would be the better option.

I haven’t tried an SL2, so don’t know how it compares to the SL4.

I managed to get £200 off the Roubaix, so don’t necessarily presume that it’ll be dearer than the Tarmac.

jacob46
    Free Member

Looking at both bikes picture to picture you can’t see that there is 25mm difference but I take your word for it.

jacob46
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    There really isn’t much difference between them, with the stem spacers and the flip stem AND the Specialized wedge shim, you can achieve the same riding position on both. The ride is very similar with Tarmac and Roubaix SL4, both are fantastically stiff but comfortable, the only major difference is the geometry of the tarmac, which is a little sharper handling. Roubaix SL4 Sport comes in tasty matt charcoal with red trim, I bought that one and transferred all the Ultegra kit over from my previous bike.

Got any pics ?

amplebrew

According to Specialized a 54cm Roubaix has a 165mm head tube and compared to the 140mm of the Tarmac.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s proportional to the size of the bike, the largest Roubaixs have a head tube about the same length as the seat tube. I hate them myself, find my Allez too high at the front too. Personal though innit – if you can sit on both then do so. It’s not just about the distance. Oldgit’s methodology is quite a good one!

amplebrew

jacob46 – Member
    globalti – Member
    Got any pics ?

The Roubaix Sport looks very ‘S-Works’ ish in colour.

Have a click here.

houndlegs
    Free Member

If you’re budget can go to the £1600 for the Roubaix,and you like the Tarmac, I’d get the Tarmac and spend £200 on a cheapie bike for the commute.

jacob46
    Free Member

If I find the tarmac front too low I suppose flipping the stem the other way would bring me up a bit. Never thought about that Cheers amplebrew!

jacob46
    Free Member

tomd
    Free Member

It sounds like too nice a bike to commute on. Have you considered something that would take proper mudguards and be less of theif magnet?

jacob46
    Free Member

It should be ok, car park cameras and chained up. Plus will be using leisure lakes recommended insurance.

globalti
    Free Member

Here’s my Roubaix SL4 Sport equipped with Ultegra etc. It’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden, I simply love riding it. I have recently flipped the wedge shim in the stem so the stem is now horizontal. Also fitted an FSA K-Force carbon crankset.

jameso

If you really want a deciding factor try touching your toes. If you can, get the tarmac, if you can’t, get the roubaix.

Good simple test.

See if you can sit on the bike in the shop….stop peddling….relax your hands….move hands slowly away from the bars…if you fall flat on your face your too low and wasting energy just holding your body up.
    Hence sportive type frames, not a gimmick just a bike with effective peddling and a comfortable front.

This is also good info. But also note that saddle position can make most difference to comfort/balance on the bike, not the bar position itself. If your saddle is too far fwd it’s very hard to then get the bars right, so the 2 are linked and it depends on the rider’s build as much as anything.

globalti
    Free Member

Edit: If you buy from a Specialized Concept Store they will measure you and fit the bike to you and make simple changes to things like bar tape and saddle. They should also give you 12.5% discount if you ask nicely.

Must admit that I’d be too nervous about theft to commute on a Tarmac; I’d keep that for weekends and commute on a Triban, which is a nice enough ride. The made-from-cheese wheels would be OK for a year or so with good maintenance.

jacob46
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    Edit: If you buy from a Specialized Concept Store they will measure you and fit the bike to you and make simple changes to things like bar tape and saddle. They should also give you 12.5% discount if you ask nicely.
    Must admit that I’d be too nervous about theft to commute on a Tarmac;

Not worried in the slightest about theft. Insurance covers theft.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed! I commute on my Dura Ace equipped Madone in summer, it’s the bulk of my riding time, why wouldn’t I want to do that on my nicest bike?!

Check house insurance rather than standalone though, often a very expensive way to go.

traildog
    Free Member

I used to commute on a hack bike, it just meant I didn’t do very many miles on my nice bike which started to make me consider why bother have it. I now ride on my nice bike and enjoy the commute much more.
    Your Tarmac will be fine. You won’t be uncomfortable and you can rename y yourself to Albert Lever. Enjoy it!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

i cant really see myself doing 50 mile runs

oh, you will 😉 You’ll get bitten by the bug, enjoy the difference from mtb, and if you do 3hr rides on your mtb you’ll knock out 50 milers on the road bike for the hell of it.

Oldgit’s test is a good one, ‘sportive’ bikes are aimed at the modern MAMIL who can’t see touch his toes, if you can get your palms down you’ll be fine on a lower front end and will be slamming that stem in no time.

mrblobby
    Free Member

‘sportive’ bikes are aimed at the modern MAMIL who can’t see touch his toes

Pick the right size and componentry and most bikes can be set up like this (though some will be aesthetically more pleasing than others!)

i should get a roubaix for comfort factor and tells me tarmac will be too uncomfortable for me.

He sounds like he doesn’t really know what he’s on about. Get the tarmac, stick some 25c on there at sensible pressures. Get properly fitted. You’ll be plenty comfortable unless you plan on riding 200 miles over cobbles. (If you are new to the road bike thing it may seem initially a little uncomfortable but stick with it.)

i cant really see myself doing 50 mile runs

Oh you will 🙂

grahamg
    Free Member

Please just test ride one of each before seeking advice – the geometry differs between them which means that for your ideal riding position one bike may be better suited than the other, and it’s only worth worrying about which model to go for if you find that both can be set up to suit.

I’d agree with many posters that it’s a bit of marketing bollocks, it’s inferred that one bike is only suitable for one type of riding, when the reality of it is that they just have different geometries to accommodate riders of different sizes/shape/flexibility etc. – those marketed as ‘full on race’ bikes are still comfortable, and can provide a perfectly relaxed upright riding position for many people (especially those with shorter legs relative to height!). On the flip side of this, I could race on a Roubaix as my stupid girly long legs means I’m in an aggressive ‘arse up, head down’ position even on a bike with a really high front end.

jacob46
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Agreed! I commute on my Dura Ace equipped Madone in summer, it’s the bulk of my riding time, why wouldn’t I want to do that on my nicest bike?!
    Check house insurance rather than standalone though, often a very expensive way to go.

Thank you, couldn’t agree more.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hah, i thought i’d not be tapping out 50 milers either & now i’m riding 100 mile audax’s!

grahamg
    Free Member

Apologies to mrblobby, I’d gone in to skim mode by the end and failed to read his post which basically said exactly the same thing!

jacob46
    Free Member

Joe – Member
    I’ve just taken delivery of a new Roubaix SL2 and can’t say i’m that enamored with it. It is comfortable, just feels slightly like riding an old nag. If I had the money again i’d go tarmac.

How tall are you jo?

IanW
    Free Member

The toe touching test is genius.

Get the Tarmac and hammer it everywhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tarmac or Roubaix? so confused!!’ is closed to new replies.