Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tarbert/Reinigeadal loop, photos
  • luked2
    Free Member

My son and I rode the loop on Harris that starts near Tarbert and loops round to the Northeast yesterday.

Amazing weather: heat haze over the moors, clear blue sea, and huge snow capped mountains visible in the far distance on the horizon. The ride itself, apart from having jaw-dropping drops down to the sea everywhere, is glorious. I can easily believe this is one of the best rides in the UK.

Click for more pictures.

Rochey
    Free Member

very very nice I must say, what part of the country is that? 😛

iainc

rode that loop a few yrs ago – those pictures are making we want to get up there again ! nice one 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Truly awesome. Nice one.

(And with weather like that, have you any tips for lottery numbers 😉

iainc

did you manage to clear the climb back up from the beach ?…we didn't !

luked2
    Free Member

very very nice I must say, what part of the country is that?

Harris. Outer Hebrides. Fantastic place.

did you manage to clear the climb back up from the beach ?…we didn't !

Not a chance! It never even occurred to me it might be possible, tbh.

Did wonder what it would be like riding down it. I think you would need nerves of steel.

13thfloormonk

Wow, that looks stunning!

What is the story behind the trails, where those the ones built by crofters sinking rocks into the bog which have then grown over with grass?

Whatever technique they've used needs to be re-introduced!

Kunstler

I can easily believe this is one of the best rides in the UK.

Yep, and I'd love to go back and ride it again – with the weather you had. I do remember the trails, even where they were grassy were easier to ride than you might expect and where they were rock they were smooth and fast.
    There's something really great about the sequence of the Rheinigeadal loop. Very memorable. I can play it over in my head quite easily. The second half of the ride is fantastically good. The coastal singletrack followed that beast of a push-up climb (funny how most of the great rides have sections of no riding) and a great descent to finish.

Post ride supper enjoyed on the machair by Horgabost beach rounded our day off. We didn't indulge at the inflatable pub (yes, really) in Tarbert.

Kit
    Free Member

Stunning – where did you get the route from?

grumm
    Free Member

Awesome – I've walked it before but would love to go back with a bike. You were VERY lucky with the weather too.

westkipper
    Free Member

Really nice,
    Harris, with the right weather, is up there with any place, anywhere in the world (thats the trick though)
    Its impressive if the weather is stormy too.

luked2
    Free Member

Stunning – where did you get the route from?

Off here, a few months back.

Weather today is not quite so nice though 🙁

Whatever technique they've used needs to be re-introduced!

I suspect it's partly down to not being used much. It's clearly being actively maintained, but in a very discreet way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tarbert/Reinigeadal loop, photos’ is closed to new replies.