Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Taping a new frame
  • honourablegeorge

(I’VE GOT A NEW FRAME)

What do folks recommend? Am planning to use some amalgamating tape on the chainstays of the new frame for chain slap, but thinking of a layer of some kind of clear tape for downtube protection – what’s cheap and good?

walla24
    Free Member

ebay “heli tape”
    good thick stuff and near on invisible

sharkattack

I got a couple of rolls from an ebay seller who if I remember rightly was called paragon tapes.
    Good thick clear stuff that comes in 2000mmx50mm rolls. Had to buy twice though as 2 metres wasn’t enough.

Northwind

I used self amalgamating tape but it wasn’t that good, quite delicate. Innertube works better tbh.

3M helitape does the job. What bike’s it going on? There is one manufacturer popular on here who don’t warranty their frames for use with it and say that if you want to use helitape, you should buy a frame that’s advertised as compatible 😉

inbred853

I used silicon self amalgamating tape on my chain stay, you can get it in several different colours to match you frame instead of the old black inner tube look. Bought mine off of the bay.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    I used self amalgamating tape but it wasn’t that good, quite delicate. Innertube works better tbh.

3M helitape does the job. What bike’s it going on? There is one manufacturer popular on here who don’t warranty their frames for use with it and say that if you want to use helitape, you should buy a frame that’s advertised as compatible

Seriously? It’s going on a 10lb Morewood DH frame, so I can’t imagine a length of tape is going to affect it tooo much,

Is the 3M stuff called Heli Tape, or doe sit have another name? Might be able to nab it from the catalogue at work

Northwind

Yeah, a properly finished bike will be fine! Good choice.

if you search for 3M helicopter you’ll get a lot of hits- it doesn’t have to be 3M tbh, but it’s good stuff, not too thin or thick and it doesn’t go as yellow as some cheaper ones do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Taping a new frame’ is closed to new replies.