Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tapered frame running a straight 1 1/8th steerer forks, headset advice required
  • weeksy

I’ve recently jumped off my Spearfish and onto a Kona Process 153 from a STWer …. So the Spearfish is going to a mate locally.

I’ve now got a Charge Cooker with decent spec but is a straight steerer. I was debating swapping to an On-one Parkwood frame, but that’s tapered steerer, so i’d need something to allow me to run a straight fork but in a tapered frame…

Ideas appreciated please.

nigew
    Free Member

Have a look here
    Or at the Hope Mix and Match range
    It’s quite confusing with headsets these days but I run a straight steerer in my Mondraker Foxy without any problems

weeksy

Yeah totally confusing… i was aware it was techincally possible as my Spearfish ran straight forks before i swapped to tapered..

I’ll have a look and see if i can make sense of it.. I may end up buying the frame and just dropping it into my LBS and saying “make something fit that with them forks”

Thanks for the link.

DezB
    Free Member

The Hope stepdown is pretty expensive, but the parts are pretty self -explanatory:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pick-and-mix-headsets/

momo

You need one of these – Headset reducer – to adapt the forks to a tapered headset

jam-bo

Hope do a step up adaptor that allows you to run a1-1/8th fork in a tapered headset.its about £8

Edit: yeah, that one.

nixie

Hope do a crown race adaptor that you put onto the fork and then put the crown race onto it. Should work with any headset.

edit too slow

weeksy

Certainly quite a viable option then… would be a shame to lose the ceramic headset i have in the Charge currently… but i guess i could still use the upper potentially from the frame, but may make sense to just sell the frame complete with headset.

I’m going to take it out for a play today as i need to go the cashpoint, i’ll then make a final decision on which frame…

honourablegeorge

You can just buy the hope lower, keep the existing upper, and if you sell the frame pop the hope lower out and the old one back in

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hope. Have such a headset on my Covert so I can use my old straight steerer forks. What I understand is its a normal tapered headset with a removable inset. So easy to go to a tapered fork if I want.

EDIT: yes as posted above, has worked fine for me, been on the bike since 2012 and its gets quite a batterting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tapered frame running a straight 1 1/8th steerer forks, headset advice required’ is closed to new replies.