• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tapered fork in non tapered headtube – no doubt for the umpteenth time.
  • dazzlingboy

I’ve searched and searched and found some answers which frankly I don’t understand – and I thought I was quite good at this sort of thing.

Question – what/how/can I fit tapered forks to my Nicolai AC 2010 which has a straight 1 1/8 headtube. Obviously straight steerer forks are getting harder to come by so want to examine my options.

Cane Creek list loads of solutions but I’m a bit lost in the technical chat tbh.

So – possible or not?

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

as far as i know it’s not possible. tapered tubes are 1.5″ at the bottom so wider than your head tube.

I might be wrong, but that’s my understanding.

Recently read that fox’s latest 36 come in straight flavours too. stupidly expensive tho!

davewalsh
    Free Member

There is no way of fitting a tapered fork in a standard 1 1/8″ headtube. 40mm into 34mm does not fit.

z1ppy

Some 1 1/8 headset are 44mm (I believe giant used this std for years before tapered forks appeared), & iirc can use an external bottom cup to fit the 1.5 lower. Can’t locate anything useful on there German website as to whether your is though. Throw an email at nicolia uk, & see if they have the answer

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think he is correct – ie it will work on a very small number of frames

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at the hope headset chart. It has measurements for all the available sizes in their pic and mix range. I think if you have an inset lower cup you can run a standard tapered cup in the bottom and use tapered forks.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Recently read that fox’s latest 36 come in straight flavours too

I thought it must have been a typo when I saw this on their website a few months ago, but it’s still on their website and if you’ve read it elsewhere its probably true. They do come with a straight steerer 😀

http://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=bike&t=forks&f1=mix&v1=FLOAT&ref=fhbadge

Just a shame they are so many £££

jairaj

Have a read of park tools website which explains headset standards and then the Cane Creek webiste. Its pretty straight forward.

If you have a 44mm headtube that normally takes an internal or zero stack headset you can use an external lower cup to allow you to use a tapered steerer.

d45yth
    Free Member

You’re out of luck OP…Nicolai 1 1/8″ headtubes are designed for standard external cup headsets (to be really specific, they’re supposed to be deep-cup ones for the warranty) – so they’re not 44mm.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Question – what/how/can I fit tapered forks to my Nicolai AC 2010 which has a straight 1 1/8 headtube.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Get an older, but stiff, fork and get it Pushed…

kimbers

So does this mean my unit http://2014.konaworld.com/unit.cfm with its internal lower headset could take a tapered fork, ?

jfb01
    Free Member

A rather “spendy” solution would be to send the frame back to Nicolai to have a new header tube fitted.This would save future hassle,but depends on how long you intend to keep the frame.

ThePinkster

44mm headtubes still need an external bottom cup for tapered fork steerers (mine does anyway) so there’s no chance it’ll fit a standard 1 & 1/8 headtube.

dooge
    Free Member

Nope, already looked into it sadly. Thought Id found a solution in America but wouldnt have worked on most frames. Ended up settling on forks I didnt really want just to get riding. Thankfully Ive changed frames now.

Daffy

There’s two types of tapered steerer, 1.25>1.125 and 1.5>1.125. It depends upon the fork/frame.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tapered fork in non tapered headtube – no doubt for the umpteenth time.’ is closed to new replies.