Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tall lanky people…what bike do you ride?
  • gfrew88
    Free Member

I’m currently shopping for a new bike and was looking at a bronson or nomad the only problem being i had a shot of a XL nomad yesterday and it was rather small.I’m 6ft 4 but I’ve got rather long legs santa cruz was my first option mainly because of their warranty and bearing replacement.

Any suggestions?

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Nicolai

maccruiskeen

banshee prime

peasant
    Free Member

salsa horsethief

IA

Another horsethief,

Also a Rose and a Voodoo.

XL Santa Cruz ain’t that big.

Not sure I’d be buying SC for reliability/longevity reasons….

6’4″ too.

Stoner
    Free Member

6’4″, 35″ inside legs.

I built a FS around a Canyon Nerve, size LARGE. NOT XL.
    That’s after trying an L, and checking on the Canyon website.

the L is fine for me, so def capacity in the XL for longer people.

Mostly I ride rigid/SS though. Usually One-Ti29 (19.5″ nominally), but just today went out on my birthday present to myself for the first time, a Gryphon XL.

Gate for scale

Nerve

fatmax

Canyon 29er XL – 6’5″

rOcKeTdOg

20″ fatty
    19″ singular
    58cm Cotic

6ft2

bigblackshed

6’4″ and ride an 18″ Sanderson Soloist. It’s not about the length of the seat tube, its the TT that’s important. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

had a shot of a XL nomad yesterday and it was rather small.

Santa Cruz are notoriously short in the TT.

Whyte’s are VERY long in the TT for their given sizes (and have a fantastic lifetime warranty on the pivot bearings), as are Mondrakers. If you’ve been looking at the Nomad, consider the Evil Insurgent in an XL, it’s got a very long reach too.

EDIT: Should state that whilst I’m of very average height and proportions, I have several friends and customers in the 6ft4+ category (one is 6ft10, another 6ft8!) and this has been their experience.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gregor, yer more than welcome to a shot of my spectral 29, if even to gauge canyon sizing. I’m 6’2″.

What does Ben Cathro ride?.

Greg.

wiggles
    Free Member

Check out the whyte G160 it is longer in large than most XL or an orange alpine or mojo Nicolai…

Edric64
    Free Member

It is about seat tube length if you cant get a post long enough!.20 inch on one 853 with a 450mm post over the limit is just about right

shermer75
    Free Member

6’4″ with disproportionately long legs here, also go for L rather than XL and have more seatpost and steerer tube spacers than most. Seems to work.

warns74
    Free Member

Got a lovely, custom build stumpy fsr carbon 29er which is about to be put up for sale. Drop me a line if you want details, fantastic bike, probably the best allrounder I’ve had.
    (6’5, lanky and monkey arms!)

gfrew88
    Free Member

I’ve got a XXL tallboy ltc at the moment, I’m looking for something thats a bit more friendly on the steep stuff for a second bike.

ryderredman
    Free Member

There was a thread on this recently. I ride an XL commencal meta, very long.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Adult trike

davosaurusrex

Just under 6’4″, XL Turner Sultan with a 60mm stem. Fits well but ideally would like another 25mm on the reach, then I’d run a 50mm stem

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

XL Camber 29er, 645mm effective TT, 70mm stem, 760mm bars.

Metasequoia

I’m 6’4″ but we are all different, I’m all legs so Santa Cruz xl Tallboy is dead on XXL too big, so best just try some out if you can find them.

beermonsta
    Free Member

6’4 and ride a Vitus sommet xl fits great after coming from a large el guapo

boltonjon

6’4″ with 36″ inside leg

Ride an XL Liteville 301, XL Singular Puffin and an XL Cotic Solaris

Pretty happy with sizing on all the bikes

I find frames any larger to be a bit ‘gate-post like’

sandwicheater

XL Salsa Horsethief

I’m all legs.

bearnecessities

*takes note to not pick a fight in here*

bol

6’4″ with a longish body, I ride a 58″ Tarmac/Langster, 60″ Pro6 and large Sync. I like my frames smaller rather than larger for my height, with my arse in the air a bit. As others have said, Santa Cruz tend to be a bit small for their stated size. I’d probably ride an XXL Tallboy for instance.

Olly
    Free Member

21″ Orange five29.
    60cm Surly disk trucker.

6’4″

willard

6′ 5″ with a long 35″ or so inside leg and ride an XL Stumpy FSR or a large Malt 2.

I was looking at getting an XL Heckler or Bronson, but the stumpy seems to be everything I want in a bike right now, so found one second hand and got that instead.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tall lanky people…what bike do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.