Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talkytoaster OS look and feel maps on Edge 705 – anyone??
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Currently have an edge 705 with open street maps on, but would prefer something more with an OS feels.

After plenty of digging with conversion tools from online and Memory-Map, OS maps are not possible on the 705 due to using vector images rather than a raster.

Talkytoaster does OS look and feel maps for £10 downloaded for the UK, does anybody use them or has used them on the 705? I know £10 is not much but would rather hear from people using them on same device before wasting any money potentially. (They are routeable for pre planned routes and adhoc will route off road as well.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I use them on my Etrex 30 and find them as accurate as OS maps. The only criticism I have is that smaller roads or lanes only appear when zoomed in close.
    Otherwise great.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Yeah I think that’s the same for all open street map based maps but if they look good then probably worth a go for £10!

clubber
    Free Member

Any screenshots – interested to see how different they are.

FWIW, I’ve been perfectly happy with OSM from talkytoaster on my 605.

smurfly13
    Free Member

There are screenshots on his website, but none on the 705/605 which is a shame…. If I do buy I will repost a few screenshots and let you know if the difference is worth the spend (I’m using his free ones too at the mo)

donal
    Free Member

I have just put the Talkytoaster and the openmtbmaps on my etrex 20. They both work really well. There is a comparison between the talkytoaster and the os maps here.

Maps comparison – free OSM and OS Discoverer.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Thanks Donal, I have seen the comparison but the edge 705 uses older image rendering software so you don’t get the full colour image (which is one reason OS maps don’t work)

The image would still be the plain road map but just more details

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talkytoaster OS look and feel maps on Edge 705 – anyone??’ is closed to new replies.