Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talk to me about… vans/campers/type things
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, me and the missus are seriously thinking about getting a van/camper in the spring to use as something to throw the bikes/surf boards/child in/on and disappear at a moments notice on a Friday night for a weekend away. Budget will be tight’ish, about £3k probably so we’re looking at VW T4s/T25s, Bongos, Vitos etc.

Its going to be parked on the road so I’m not wanting something I’m going to be too precious about so was thinking van (Vito/T4/Vivaro etc) with a rock and roll bed, carpet and insulation and then an awning to cook in etc.

Alternatively, something like a proper camper, T25 probably. But I’d be worried about seeing something like that rust into the road…

Any suggestions / good websites to get inspiration?

Dave

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

With a budget of £3k I seriously doubt you’ll be thinking T4/T25, they are fetching silly money now, anything for sale for £3k will be a complete nail/knackered.

Not even sure it’ll run to a bongo tbh, you might get an old Vito/Vivaro but I wouldn’t want a Vito at that age as they rust like old boats.

How much work are you prepared to do yourself, Ie. would you consider a van then doing a bit of a conversion on it or are you looking to buy ready to go??

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Be happy to do all the work myself. Been looking at a few T4s and theres some semi decent ones for well under £3k. Mates just sold his really good one for under that so theres a few about.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomm
    Free Member

been van hunting myself for a while now. VW’s fetch silly money as mentioned, vitos rot like champs as mentioned.
    seriously consider the newest transit you can get as they are a joy to drive (for a van, and especially compared to older more agricultural transits) but my current pick of the bunch is a vauxhall vivaro. go to a dealer and drive as many different vans as you can as there’s some that are pigs such as ivecos, LDV’s.
    ready made campers sell for a huge margin over an empty box van so think about what facilities you need and decide if you could install them yourself.

Mugboo

My mate bought an early T4 this year. A bit rusty and I’m a little suspicious of its under 100.000 miles but he’s made it into a sleeper and been all over the place without a problem.

He paid about a grand.

I bought my 03 T4 2yrs ago for £3800. Ex plumbers van, a little tatty but it was resprayed in silver when new so that helps.

We have added a double rear seat and belt, approx £200.
    Audi wheels, powdercoated £210
    Side bars, powdercoated £190
    Split charge system, approx £150
    Lowered £170
    Windows £300
    Tint £70

Just need to finish insulating this winter and build some kind of removable sleeping platform…

spooky_b329

Another vote to forget VW on a £3k budget, as above, I would go for a Vivaro/Trafic or Transit. I have an Iveco Daily and whole-heartedly agree that it is a pig, especially on poorly surfaced or twisty roads. But it is cheap, tough, and above all else, has a class leading towing limit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about… vans/campers/type things’ is closed to new replies.