Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talk to me about trials (motorcycle)
  • grim168
    Free Member

As above really. Did a tryout day at inch perfect near clitheroe and really enjoyed it. Seeing as my roadbike (cbr600) hardly gets used I’m thinking of getting shut and having a go. We tried a sherco, beta and a gas gas on the day. What models are worth looking at for about the 1500 quid mark. I have kit from green laning a few years ago and a trailer so the only real outlay is the bike. Anybody compete? wondering what novice comps are like. Gonna find one local and have a nosey in the next week or two.
    Cheers, Graham.

Pigface
    Free Member

What bike depends on how they have been looked after, all are good and dont forget Scorpa off your list. My least favourite are Sherco mate had one and it was horrid, Gas Gas are ok but build quality is a bit hit and miss. Had a Beta which was ace, the stator went which they all do 😆 also had a couple of Scorpas and they are bullet proof, Yamaha engine but they went bust, parts are no problem Birket trial sport were the importers.

Who is you local dealer and what do they sell?

Montessa lovely but getting on a bit unless you go 4 stroke which you wont get for £1500.

Twin shock is something to think about.

Trials is ace and the only person you are competing with is yourself. Practice practice practice as much as you can, dont enter a Center event first time as you will just give up, find a club that has proper beginner sections and have fun fun fun

fervouredimage
    Free Member

For 1500 quid a Beta Rev 3 is a very good bet. You could get a very decent 2008 for that. Some had an issue with the coil but most being sold 2nd hand now will have been remedied or not prone to the issue anyway.

Other than that they are a solid, reliable machine, very easy to use, 2 stroke so easy to maintain, and importantly a lot of fun to ride. Lots if them out there as they are considered a very good value beginners machine. It was my first trials bike which was perfect for the 5 years I used it.

totalshell

any contempory 250 will fit the bill dont go 270 280 300.. all you ll get are long arms.. beta is most popular bike in uk you ll get 2005/7 for your money although condition is everything rather than age.. an older tidy bike with new tyres is a better buy than that 2008 bike that has lived on a farm outdoors..

you ll find any clubs beginner trails are ridebale as long as you have slow speed control of the bike nailed.. novice is a term to describe lads who will progress to been very good.. so always choose the easier route.

turn up check out a few local trials and make a choice.. join your local most suitable club and ride..

grim168
    Free Member

Must admit the beta was the nicest to ride out of the three. Inch Perfect are probably my nearest dealer but nothing in my price range. I was surprised at the service intervals for piston and rings etc. Thought they’d be more like a crosser.

mark88

I used to ride as a kid, still got a bike in the garage that gets an outing at fun events about once a year.
    I’ve always found events very friendly, especially in the lower groups as everyone is essentially competing against themselves but plenty of chatting whilst queuing and walking sections.
    Most club rounds have a novice or sports route that you should be fine with if you’re experienced on a bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about trials (motorcycle)’ is closed to new replies.