Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Talk to me about snorkels
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Used to do this when I was a kid. What’s good in the world of grown-up snorkels?

cbike
    Free Member

simpler the better. fancy valves dinnae work.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member
    stumpy_m4
    Free Member

get these, absolutely brilliant

http://www.tribord.co.uk/content/easybreath-snorkeling-mask
    £35 ish from decathlon

gobuchul
    Free Member

simpler the better. fancy valves dinnae work.

+1

get these, absolutely brilliant

http://www.tribord.co.uk/content/easybreath-snorkeling-mask
    £35 ish from decathlon

Seriously? That looks like an awful piece of kit.

A snorkel is only as good as the mask you use with it and masks are like walking boots, you need to try them on to see if they fit. If they fit hen they are good.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I got an Osprey snorkel/flipper set for €30 from a TKMaxx in Ireland. I haven’t checked if they have them in UK stores but worth a look. Quality/materials seem very good and fit (for me) is spot on. I wear surfing boots with the flippers, so got the largest size. Definitely worth trying things on first.

EDIT same set on eBay: here

edhornby

totally what the others have said – a tube with a bite valve and nothing else. don’t stick it inside the mask strap, get one of those fig-of-8 plastic keepers

spend the time trying on each and every mask you can – like a bike seat, the brand matters nothing, the fit absolutely does

be very careful about swimming down, after about 5m the wetsuit compresses and becomes a weight not a buoyancy factor, short dips. watch the currents

I know that bit sounds obvious but it still catches the unwary

have fun 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Wetsuit? 🙂

I want a snorkel, cos I used to love doing it as a kid. However I also want one for my daughter because I have an idea that being able to float face down in the sea will help her practice her arm and leg movements for actual swimming.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You can get cold quickly snorkeling in the UK with no wetsuits.
    Your strength and energy will drain very quickly.. Just be careful and have fun. These large kids Goggles are excellent for kids swimming.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Sphere-Seal-Swimming-Goggles/dp/B00I0UKKD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1435815710&sr=1-1&keywords=Seal+Goggles

Really helped mine have more confidence in the water

Cougar

allthepies
    Free Member

Curse you Cougar! 🙂

thepurist

As with many things, girth is as important as length. Too narrow and you’ll be breathing through a straw, too wide and you won’t exchange the air when you breathe. I’d suggest a simple purge valve on the mouthpiece makes a difference to clearing, but steer well clear of any fancy gizmos and gimmicks on the top.

slowoldman

I had one with a ball valve in when I was little. I couldn’t figure out one day why the air kept getting cut off. I then realised there was a youth walking alongside me pushing the ball up.

Oh how I laughed – once I got my breath back.

wl
    Free Member

+1 simpler the better, avoid and weird valve-type ones. Buy fins/flippers too – more fun. If you’re abroad in warm waters, no wetsuit required and you can dive as deep as your lungs can handle. Use waterproof suncream. Don’t forget to clear your ears as the pressure builds – pinch your nose and gently breath out until the pressure equalises. If it doesn’t work, stop descending!

willard

I got rid of the best snorkel that I have ever used whilst at uni. Very simple thing with no valves or anything and I regret that to this day. I’ve not been able to find anything else that’s been as good.

Go to a diving shop and get one from there, but choose a good mask too. Low volume is the king.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have one of the superdry type snorkels and have used it quite a lot – hasn’t let me down – nor have any of the ones my friends have. Seems to work quite well.

willard

How about one of these? http://www.scubapro.com/en-GB/FRA/essentials/snorkels/products/curve-snorkel.aspx

That’s pretty similar to what I used to have.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sorry to be a drag, but suncream is toxic to marine life. Rash vest?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

(And yes I know how fast you’ll burn on the sea and how bad it is for you)

molgrips
    Free Member

Just to let you all know, I’m thinking of spending an hour with my face in the water at a UK beach, not spending three months exploring the barrier reef…..

bear-uk
    Free Member

That Decathlon snorkel looks cool. I have only been snorkeling once on the Great barrier reef. What a nightmare as the mask kept filling with water and was getting panic attacks. Not being a good swimmer I decided to lay on my back. Soon realised the snorkel pipe then became a straw. 😯

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I use an Oceanic Ultradry (£30 from Simply Scuba). It has a top valve (stops water getting in the top of the tube) and a purge valve (blast out water that collects at the bottom of the tube). I do some snorkeling but it’s mainly used when diving off a boat to let me breathe proper air when on the surface, sometimes in rough water where an open tube would let water in. The valves have never failed and even for snorkelling, I’d prefer a valve to let me descend below the depth of the tube. Some water will still collect in the tube both from the latency of the valve closing and moisture in your breath which is why a purge valve is useful
    If you’re looking for a snorkel – are you looking for a mask as well? If so, where pretty much any snorkel will do, masks have to fit your face and you’d really need to try one one to make sure it’s comfortable and waterproof – stick the mask on , don’t put the strap on and breath in, the mask should stick to your face and feel comfortable. If it does, that’s the one for you. Personally, I’m not keen on a clear skirt as I used to see movement at the edge of my vision which was a distraction, new mask, black skirt, much better, but a bit wannabe Bond.
    wl’s post is nonsense – without weights you’re not going to descend any depth in salt water. I had a hard time getting to a locker key in 2m of salt water

natrix
    Free Member

Have a look at the tide times and try to go when there is a neap tide rather than a spring tide (the water is likely to be clearer).

Slack water which occurs at both high and low tide is the best time to go as the water isn’t moving.

sharkbait
    Free Member

wl’s post is nonsense – without weights you’re not going to descend any depth in salt water. I had a hard time getting to a locker key in 2m of salt water

Really? I didn’t have any problem getting to 3m last summer, but then I’m a rubbish floater 😳

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member
    Seriously? That looks like an awful piece of kit.

A snorkel is only as good as the mask you use with it and masks are like walking boots, you need to try them on to see if they fit. If they fit hen they are good.
    yep seriously works a treat and they do different sizes, so trying on is needed

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about snorkels’ is closed to new replies.