Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • talk to me about skiing in scotland
  • porterclough
    Free Member

Was considering going up to scotland for a couple of days’ skiing next week with the lad as it is half term, probably either Fort William or Braemar… I’ve never skied in Scotland though so wondered if any had any tips… also the weather looks to be warming up, will it be worth the trip?

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

totally! we went up last week to glencoe and the conditions were great. they only had one run closed and that was due to avalanche risk. my advice would be to do one day at glencoe then the next at nevis range. that will give you a fair bit of variation for 2 days skiing.

if you go on to the ski scotland website then continue through to mountain access site you can get 3rd off tickets if bought in advance.

make sure you stop for a brew at the kings arms hotel for a bit of apres too. fantastic ales.

good luck

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Often best leaving it to the last moment to decide- weather can change very quickly. Cairngorms have had a better dump of snow recently, but Glencoe last Saturday wasn’t too shabby!

jojoA1
    Free Member

It can be very hit and miss. The resorts can be so subject to things like wind that you can’t guarantee you will get to ski even if there is snow. If you do visit, bring kit to do other stuff in case of weather that affects the skiing. The thaw would have to be going some to lose all the cover by next week, but I have seen a few day’s warm, rainy and windy weather strip Nevis Range from full cover to virtually unskiable. Depends how keen you are really and how happy you would be to arrive and not be able to ski….

EDIT: what Rock3gozy says, leave it as long as you can before deciding too.

porterclough
    Free Member

my lad has had a bad knee so just hoping to get at least a day’s skiing in to see how it holds up, no point booking a holiday abroad if he skis one day and can’t move day after. will be happy to spend 2nd day looking round at scenery etc. if necessary – but definitely would prefer to get some skiiing done to make it worth the 6 or 7 hour each way drive from sheff

looked at that ski scotland web site, looks like glenshee is only one you can book skis and boots in advance from? don’t fancy turning up to nevis range and not getting any equipment (they say they expect to be busy as it’s half term). Are there other hire shops in fort william town?

jojoA1
    Free Member

In Fort William, Nevisport used to hire, but I’m not sure now after they’ve been bought over by Trespass. There’s also Ellis Brigham’s.

GrahamS

Don’t expect to be able to hire at the resort at the moment cos they have been very busy recently with all the snow.

Do show up nice and early to get a lift pass (bring cash so you can skip the credit card queue)

jimmy

Do show up nice and early

Thats the key to Scottish skiing IMO. Especially weekends, which are to be avoided if possible. If conditions are good it still gets busy midweek, but this isn’t to put you off just to be prepared for queues. Glenshee has ski hire shops about 20 minutes before the base on the road in – do stop there rather than trying to hire at the lifts.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Aye, all the above. Cover on Cairngorm awesome at the mo’, but with half term it will be busy on the hill (and in ski-hire) However, there are a number of places to rent kit in the village.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Tips?

Pretty much all you need to know here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/

Given your circumstances and the current snow coverage I’d go to The Gorms

flatfish
    Free Member

why not try yad moss or swinhope in cumbria and northumbria respectivly.
    save trapsing all the way to aviemore, about 8 hours less driving round trip.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘talk to me about skiing in scotland’ is closed to new replies.