Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Talk to me about single speed.
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

What’s good or bad about it? Is it just a way of life? Should I go for it?

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t fanny about with singlespeed. Go fixed.

It will turn you into a trail ninja.

Duffer
    Free Member

It’s the only way to roll. Everyone else are just pretenders.

porter_jamie

i finally ditched the hub gear this week and did a lap of the epping mud with one gear. it was hard. my legs hurt. it was good.

yunki
    Free Member

I was quite socially impaired until I tried it.. now I’m an instant hit with the ladeez

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its stupid and for idiots (8 years in..)

TimCotic
    Free Member

1 X 10 (Singlespeed for wimps?)

qwerty
    Free Member

Pace is obviously different, you have to work on the climbs and get to rediscover the joys of free wheeling on the downs, one gear = many speeds, sit stand or push – my times are pretty much the same whatever i ride (god knows what that says about my riding!).

jonyb
    Free Member

built myself a rigid fork singlespeed to see what all the fuss was about.
    i live in a hilly area, gave it a good few go’s. and decided not for me.
    could not see the point really. it was not a fixed gear though.
    a lot of freewheeling with a noisy hope hub got on my nerves after a while.
    gears where invented for a reason.
    nice light uncluttered bike though.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Hills are faster at the bottom and you wait for geared freaks at the top. Also speed is the same gears or not, round my neck of the woods.

Muke
    Free Member

It’s ok to push your bike up steep hills when you’re a singlespeeder 😀

bigblackshed

Muke – Member
    It’s ok to push your bike up steep hills when you’re a singlespeeder

It’s perfectly valid.

It’s a quick way to develop your “guns”. 😉

tazzymtb

I’dd rather haemorrhage blood from my gentleman’s sausage than walk/ push on a hill. Bloody weak limbed effetes giving ss a bad name!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It’s a bit marmite but I’ve been riding singlespeed for 5 years now and whenever I put gears on I miss only having one very quickly.

There are days when gears make sense, like a day in the Lakes, but round Yorkshire I seem to cope fine with just one.

As has been said there are times when you’ll be spinning like crazy on the flats but most of the time the singlespeeders I ride with tend to be as fast if not faster than the geared riders and those on Strava are all hanging around the top 5 places.

I have to say though that while I’d say I’m a strong singlespeed rider I’ve not seen that strength translate to my road riding and turning over big road gears seems to require a different type of fitness.

qwerty
    Free Member

Observe & compare the meek geared rider on the left beside his singlespeeding buddy on the right…

Alcopop
    Free Member

have ridden singlespeed for the past 7 years I did buy a carbon full suss in the summer 30 gears and all that
    spent a few weeks flat on my arse as i struggled to get used to the gears again now i quite enjoy it but I still enjoy the S/S the simplicity of of one gear is a good thing i don’t struggle to much on the hills i run 32/18
    i also commute 130 miles a week on a S/S road bike bit of a Gluton for punishment ….and yeah the facial hairs coming on a treat x

martymac

its not for everyone, and its not for everywhere.
    but ive done more journeys on my ss this year than my other bikes.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve been back on the single speed for the last couple of weeks now winter has arrived. My beard is coming along nicely too.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I built one over the summer, with the idea of having it as a rigid 29er to complement my 1*10 full-suss.

It’s a very different game, initially it hurt like hell climbing. Not so much in the legs, but my lungs. I felt like I was about the puke them up. Now, though, I’ve gotten used to it, the bike is fast and light, something I really like. It is slower on the flat, but on the down I’m as fast as everyone else (despite being rigid… its amazing what difference those bigger wheels make) and on the ups I leave them all behind.

I still prefer the full-suss for the local woods type runs though, or anything really rough/steep for that matter.

The whole zero-maintainance thing is great. Permanently caked in mud, and it works the same as when clean, unlike the full-suss which needs to be looked after to work properly.

Love it, but I’m still undecided if I would only own a SS or not.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got an SS as my winter bike.
    It will never be as fast as a geared bike but it can be a lot of fun. The big advantage is low maintenance. Mine is rigid and I find I miss the suspension more than the gears.
    Surprisingly good fun to ride. I have two sprockets to allow for a (very!) manual gear change, although that is a workshop job, I have a flat gear and a hilly gear. I lose out more on the downs than the ups though regardless of gear.
    If you want to try one it be done for pretty much free.
    Remove shifters and cables.
    Remove cassette, and select which sprocket you want.
    Use plastic plumbing pipe or old cassette spacers to pack out the rear hub around the chosen sprocket, cassette spacers are best as you can move them around easier to get the chainline right.
    Remove granny and big rings if applicable (may require purchase of shorter chainring bolts, less than a fiver)
    Shorten chain by appropriate amount.
    Set rear mech limit screws to hold it in place by the sprocket, works fine as a tensior.
    Set front mech limit screws to use as a chain guide.
    Ride it. If you like do it properly, if you don’t reverse the above procedures.

samuri
    Free Member

You just get used to riding around a bit slower and climbing stood up all the time. It’s a lot easier in a way. Just point it and pedal. Sometimes it’s hard but you just stand up and push down harder.

cardo

It ‘s not really a Singlespeed you have 3 speeds;
    Standing
    Sitting
    Stop.
    The most challenging but also the best bike I’ve owned.

Try it if nothing else it wil make you fitter.

drofluf
    Free Member

Singlespeed is a misnomer. You actually have 4 speeds: sit, stand, push and puke.

And if that’s not enough you’ll instantly be approximately 100x more attractive to your preferred sex. True fat!

TiRed

Good: builds fitness, road and off-road.
    Bad : have to wait at the top of hills.

Have had a rigid 29er and now a HT 26er. I must be soft because I rather like the front suspension now I have it. I also ride 32×17 and spin a lot. Had facial hair for three years.

bob_summers

Bad: If you pride yourself on clearing difficult/techy climbs, SS isn’t for you. You can’t put power down discerningly, it’s all or nothing.

Otherwise, all good. You adapt, it’s about the least suitable bike for my trails (Basque Country/Lower Pyrenees) but I persevere.

epicyclo

If you want to be fast on a bike, buy a motorbike…

fenred
    Free Member

You can’t put power down discerningly, it’s all or nothing.

Disagree, that’s down to technique.

cp

If you pride yourself on clearing difficult/techy climbs, SS isn’t for you. You can’t put power down discerningly, it’s all or nothing.

I disagree with both these things. It’s even more satisfying to clear tricky climbs, and the art of singlespeed is about control.

kilo

Went out on my inbred today, first time as a single speed for a long while as been running it with an alfine. God almighty it was hard work, reminded me why I put gears on it 😆
    But it was fun and I’ll be sticking with ss for a while, unless it kills me

Spin
    Free Member

Disagree, that’s down to technique

Sure, technique helps and it’s amazing what you can get up. However, there comes a point when in order to keep moving you’ve got to really push and that’s when you start breaking traction especially if you’re standing up. With gears you’d just shift down, spin a bit more and maintain traction.

singlespeedstu

It’s great for attentionseeking…

inthehouse
    Free Member

I popped my cherry twice today,one riding a 29r other being ss,
    finally got my inbred ss rolling out on my regular loop,can say I too experienced the “puking aspect”,bloody enjoyed it though!

Haze

Don’t fanny about with singlespeed. Go fixed.

Thinking of doing this over winter, dabbled a bit before and found it ‘interesting’.

Stu, was that you I saw in Bobbington this morning?

singlespeedstu

Haze.

No mate we didn’t leave home until later and headed out the opposite way to Bobbington.

Haze

Ah cool, only glanced as I passed going the opposite way.

I was on the road bike so don’t like to appear too friendly.

singlespeedstu

I wouldn’t have spoken to you anyway if you were on a road bike. 😉

righog
    Free Member

Well when I am feeling sad and blue it’s the cheapo rigid singlespeed that gets me riding again, but I still like the gears and the bounce.

Haze

😆

takisawa2

Biggest problem is Women throwing themselves at me. There’s only so much lurvin a man can give.

will64
    Free Member

Waiting for mine to arrive. Not tried it since I was 7. “Faint hearted never unmentionabled a pig” as they say. Why not have a bit of everything?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about single speed.’ is closed to new replies.