• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by xora.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Talk to me about punch bags
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My wife wants one, and to be honest I might fancy one too. There are loads of cheap ones on Amazon. Now I’m sure they’re dreadful and I really need to get something terribly expensive but really, we’re not ‘into’ martial arts, we’re not trying to get into them, we just want something to hit and maybe kick to get a bit of exercise.

Question is, how best to mount it so that it doesn’t make too much noise for next door?

I’d put it in the garage, so I was thinking of putting up a beam across held up by some of those screw on brackets.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You need them to hang in free space so you can move freely around them. That makes the work out much more enjoyable and vigorous.

It needs to be reasonably heavy, filled with something like rags so that they give a little and isn’t so light that it just flies around with the slightest punch.

You must get bag mitts to work on the bag with otherwise you will ruin your knuckles.

It’s also easy to really bust your wrists if you’re not used to working on one so take it easy.

Have fun. It’s a great work out.

loddrik
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

We haven’t got enough space to be able to move around it tbh.

DezB
    Free Member

https://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=punch%20bag

Despite what you might hear, a punch bag is a punch bag. Unless you’re intending it to be used by a gym just get a SportsDirect job and fill it with rags if it doesn’t already come filled. Check the bracket types, see what suits where you have planned for it. It’s not really a hi-tech thing that you need loads of advice on! Agree about hand wraps and mitts, so get those too.

They’re not quiet, especially if you hang them with chains. A wall bracket is probably quieter, but obviously needs to be properly mounted.

geetee1972
    Free Member

We haven’t got enough space to be able to move around it tbh.

Ok well it doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy using one. You just need to be aware that it will move when you hit it and if its near a wall, it’s going to bang into it. That might annoy the neighbours and it might also damage the wall.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Some have loops on to bottom so they can be secured to a ground anchor etc.

I’d not want it soft at all as they’re horrible to hit if they give too much. Having said that, when I started using one I bruised my hands quite badly, so got some lightweight gloves; once my hands were used to it I didn’t need them any more.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. wondering about ground anchors now. Might be able to make it work.

What if I mounted on a spring?

Are free-standing ones as crap as they look?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes!

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

The mma club where I train from time to time has one, it appears to be weighted down with sand or concrete so it works as it should. I never really spent any amount of time doing bag work but I did hit it the odd kick and stayed put. Same with the century bob they have. Well weighted, but it’s a bit too hard to spend any amount of time punching, fine for kicking though but again, not something I did a lot of. Quite boring.

Maybe try focus mitts first.

lardcore
    Free Member

Have a good think about the amount of space you have around it – if it’s really tight and there’s not much space for the bag to swing (at least 1m radius from where it’s hanging) you can consider a water punching bag. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you won’t be able to kick smaller ones if you hang them at the height for punching, and you need a very sturdy mount as water is very dense and even the smaller bags are very heavy.

Do wrap your hands and use punching mitts to prevent any injuries early on.

chrisdw
    Free Member

The only disadvantage I can think of is that you won’t be able to kick smaller ones if you hang them at the height for punching.

Depends how high you can kick 😉

lardcore
    Free Member

Depends how high you can kick

Ah, so we’re using this to humble-brag instead of trying to be helpful? Oh, I can kick someone in the head if they’re under 6″ tall.

How’s that, am I doing this right?

footflaps

If we’re humble bragging, can I suggest you skip the punch bag altogether and just use a concrete block, I like to warm my shins up on one before a fight…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vK1GvBUYec[/video]

chestrockwell

Got one you can have for free if you’re near Skipton.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks but I’m not. And postage would be a bugger 🙂

If I can anchor something to the floor as well, I could install a flat foldable ground anchor of some kind, that would stop it swinging about.

lardcore
    Free Member

If you get the water one swinging a lot then you might want to give a boxing promoter a call, no use in wasting such talent with mundane everyday job.

[video]https://youtu.be/Vip5dU71nXk[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

lardcore – Member

If you get the water one swinging a lot then you might want to give a boxing promoter a call, no use in wasting such talent with mundane everyday job.

Sod that, just go down to the local slaughterhouse and get a few rounds in on a side of beef.

(Do not try to do a few rounds on a side of beef, I tried this on a freshly butchered side at the cleaning station and nearly broke my hands)

lardcore
    Free Member

Beef is for softies.

I usually have my breakfast cereal of rusty nails mixed with gunpowder washed down with sulphuric acid, then run a marathon for warm-up (uphill, both ways) – after that I go to the local fuel depot and punch the LPG storage tanks with my bare hands for a few hours.

xora

The water ones are brutal but fun 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about punch bags’ is closed to new replies.