Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Talk to me about Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi coast etc
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Family holiday, October half term.

Good places to stay, stuff to see, hidden beaches and amazing restaurants.

What you got?

thanks

tthew

Sorrento is where we stayed, lovely.

We really liked Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius, which can practically be done on the same day as the trip busses leave from Pompeii train station. Depends on how long you want to look at Pompeii for.

Capri was a waste of a day IMHO, I’d have rather done an Amalfi coast trip.

pyranha

Ercolano is a bit of a dump, but Herculaneum is worth a visit – Pompeii was buried under ash, Herculaneum under lava, so it was discovered later and less has been uncovered, yet (there’s also a town on top of some of it).

Amalfi coast well worth a drive; local wine is good. We found prices for most things quite reasonable, but we did get a few more cents to the pound a couple of years ago, so I don’t know how it compares now.

footflaps

Herculaneum is better preserved than Pompeii, although we enjoyed both:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fJcCL8]Herculaneum[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fJrmem]Roman street, Herculaneum[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fJt8fQ]Roman baths, Herculaneum[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fJsqgW]Roman shop, Herculaneum[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

mmannerr

In Napoli take funicular to old fort on top of the, the view from cafe/restaurant near the entrance is fantastic.
    Hiring Pompeii guide might be usefu as they know shortcuts around busiest areas but I don’t have contact information and October shouldn’t be too crowded.
    There were some restrictions on Vesuvius in early August due forest fires but they should be out now.

jekkyl

From Amalfi take the afternoon boat cruise for a couple of hours, they give you the chance to swim off the boat and offer bottles of Peroni to sup. Gorgeous. Although in October might be a bit colder.
    I liked Capri, the single cable car to the top was like a dream and all the butterflys at the top, out of this world. Get there early and have a coffee at the top.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Use the posh train.
    I can not say this enough.

Tunnels in Naples looked really good but i didn’t get chance to go. Know where you are going in Naples and don’t stray, some of it is very rough.

Re the Pompeii guide, there is no signage or anything to speak of, very difficult to know what you’re looking at without a guide or joining a tour. (Very impressive either way mind)

footflaps

We went in August for our honeymoon in 2013, crowds weren’t an issue at Pompeii or Herculaneum. Amalfi coast was busy though. Driving is an ‘experience’ 🙂

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Agree re: Capri town. Smaller version of Monaco; tourists gawping at rich people paying over the top prices.

The island however is stunning, we had a boat taking us round the various coves etc. Spent the day drinking beers from a cool box and swimming in the sea.

Pretty reasonable too as we filled the boat (8 or so people)

fasthaggis

We were there two weeks ago(it was a bit toasty) and I thought how much nicer it would be in April/Oct.
    Stayed just outside Sorrento.
    I would do boat one way round to Amalfi and bus/tiny car back.
    If you are brave enough a scooter would be the best choice.
    Capri

The island however is stunning, we had a boat taking us round the various coves etc. Spent the day drinking beers from a cool box and swimming in the sea.

Yup, we did this and it was great way to get to the best spots.
    Pompeii ..got there early and used the train from Sorrento. If you have young kids be aware it’s quite a large site.

john_drummer
    Free Member

What tthew said. Sorrento is nice, Capri overrated, Pompeii & Vesuvius in one day, Herculaneum another half day.

We also did a day trip to Rome but it’s not the best place to start from. Three to four hours on a coach, max three hours in Rome, then another 3-4 hours on coach back. A bit like staying in Leeds and taking a day trip to London

xc-steve
    Free Member

Use the posh train.
    I can not say this enough.

Not sure on that one, one of my lasting memories of my trip to Italy is the train to Pompeii crammed into a tin of a boiling train two buskers come aboard and play what was actually some pretty impressive music considering the context. They earn’t their money.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, Stay in Sorrento – very nice – I think everyone above has covered the best bits.
    Pompeii is huge and can be a bit brutal on a hot day (very little shade) October should be perfect.
    We’re going back in April next year, will be visiting Naples war cemetery as well, as my great uncle is buried there.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

We also did a day trip to Rome but it’s not the best place to start from. Three to four hours on a coach, max three hours in Rome, then another 3-4 hours on coach back. A bit like staying in Leeds and taking a day trip to London

Good idea, but it’s only an hour on the fast train (Frecciarossa). Trenitalia web site says 1 adult + 1 child on 16/10 Naples – Rome = 30 Euro leave 9AM, arrive 10:10

Take an evening wander up Spaccanapoli/via dei Tribunali stopping for pizza at di Matteo or Gino Sorbillo. di Matteo is very cheap, basic and excellent. Sorbillo, less cheap, less basic, as good/better

Also, allow half a day at least for the archeological museum. A lot stuff from Pompeii/Herculaneumis on display there.

porter_jamie

amalfi coast is nice but driving the coast road blows, you need a scooter to get about and trying to park a car is nigh on impossible

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Cheers all, not planning to hire a car, intyending to use public transport.

my current thinking is 2 nights in naples (flight gets in late on first day) then ferry to sorrento. pompeii and vesuvius one day, amalfi coast explore by bus and/or boat. chill, eat far too much cheese, drink too much wine and have a salami consumption competition with my 7 year old son.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

All as above.
    I’d not recommend driving whilst there though.
    Everything North of Sorrento = train
    Everything South around Amalfi cost = boat

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi coast etc’ is closed to new replies.